Johny Hendricks holding out for title-shot, thinks GSP is scared of him

UFC welterweight Johny Hendricks is one of the most humble, soft-spoken competitors on the organization’s roster. He rarely has a bad word to say about his opponents and is consistently grateful for the opportunities he’s been handed in life.

However, Hendricks’ attitude appears to be changing when it comes to a title-shot he not only feel he’s owed but has earned in the eyes of most by beating his last five opponents including knockouts of Jon Fitch and Martin Kampmann.

“I’m not going to fight unless it’s for a belt. Nothing else matters but the belt. My last three fights were guys in the top five, and I finished two of those three fights. I stated my claim. My stock’s really high right now, and the only thing left is to get a shot at that belt,” said an animated Hendricks in an interview with MMAJunkie Radio. “I really want a belt. They don’t come around that often, and I feel like I’ve done enough to earn a shot, and that’s pretty much all I’m thinking of right now. I’m training for a five-round fight, and that’s it.”

Possibly interfering in his plan, or at least postponing it, champion Georges St-Pierre has been linked to possible pairings against fellow pound-for-pound great Anderson Silva and fierce rival Nick Diaz. GSP himself has not officially commented on what his next move will be, but Hendricks feels he already knows and it unfortunately doesn’t involve a bout with him.

“Here is a guy is trying to pull out a curveball saying, ‘We really don’t think we can win with this guy, but we think we can beat Nick Diaz.’ That’s what it sounds like to me,” assessed Hendricks of St-Pierre.

“He’s trying to keep money from my kids,” the bearded brawler concluded. “If I win that belt and take it from him, my life changes. He’s trying to not give me the fair shot. That’s crazy to me to think this guy is trying to control my future. That makes me want to win that much even more.”

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Nice attempt at talking your way into a fight. If Nick Diaz was not in the picture it just might work. GSP won’t call anyone out directly, but you KNOW he wants a piece of Diaz.

Diaz made it personal where all is other opponents kept it professional and never called him out with insults like Diaz.

Give Hendricks a fight with Carlos Conit. If he can get past Condit then I say he absolutely deserves a title shot. Not sure he could get past Condit, but I think it would be a fight worth watching.

• AlphaOmega says:

I think Hendricks has earned the title shot over Diaz, I don’t think GSP is scared of Hendricks, I just think he want’s to shut Diaz’s mouth. However, Hendricks saying he won’t fight again unless its for the title probably wont sit well with DW.

• MCM says:

Johny is the only guy in the division that deserves a shot at the belt PERIOD. Problem is, he’s not much of a test for GSP. Yes he’s beaten three top 10 guys but one of those was a split against Kos, and we know how easily GSP handled Kos.

Diaz, on the other hand, needs to beat a top 10 opponent for once in his life before he’s ever in title talks again, rivalry or no rivalry.

If GSP defends the WW belt, it should be against Hendricks. Personally, I want to see him move up to 185 as there are no new interesting challenges for him at 170. Hendricks hasn’t proven to be more than a powerful left with good wrestling, Diaz would get taken down and smothered by half the UFC WW roster, Kampmann is coming off a loss, and Ellenberger, Maia, and rematches just seem unappealing. I’d rather see Silva move up to 205, but I honestly see GSP’s best option being the “super fight” with the Spider.

• THEGUNNER says:

Diaz vs hendricks for title shot. Diaz is fresh off a lay off hendricks isnt injured and gsp isnt gonna fight for at least 6 months. Let them fight in feb and the next fight when both are ready. If tuf guys can fight back to back the pros should be able to do it once in a while.

• raker says:

It worked for Diaz to get GSP’s attention so why not for Hendricks? Make it personal and maybe get Georges attention.

• Dachman says:

Diaz lost to Condit, quit the sport now a title shot no way. Hendricks would be awesome fight with GSP.