Rory MacDonald labels B.J. Penn as “just another fighter on his way to losing.”

In the eyes of many, UFC icon B.J. Penn’s face would be at home on a Mount Rushmore of MMA. The fan-favorite has won titles in two divisions, never backs down from a fight, and comes to entertain every time he steps into the Octagon. However, to welterweight Rory MacDonald Penn is a fellow competitor and nothing more.

MacDonald opened up on a recent Road to the Octagon special promoting his UFC on FOX 5 bout with Penn where he spoke about “The Prodigy” in terms far from those often associated with the surefire Hall of Famer.

“As a young kid, I looked up to people. As a man, I don’t anymore,” stated MacDonald. “He’s just another fighter on his way to losing.”

The 23-year old’s confidence comes from nearly a decade of training and intense focus on achieving a level of success unlike many, if any, of his peers.

“When I first started, when I was 14, I had a lot of anger issues I guess. Or rage,” revealed MacDonald. “I channel it through fighting, through training…getting better at something, growing as a martial artist.”

To foster that development, “Ares” headed to Montreal as a teenager and linked up with Tristar MMA. Though the circumstances were not initially ideal, his performances in the cage have proven it was the right move.

“It was either stay where I was and not develop as much or sacrifice some things and maybe be the greatest,” said MacDonald. “I hear all these guys, they talk about they want to fight the best version of whatever fighter…but I’m just in there to collect bodies and pile ‘em up. That’s all.”

The full Road to the Octagon special can be seen below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• hindsightufuk says:

this guy reminds me a lot of Ronda Rousey (or vice versa). started off impressed, but then the more he/she opens his/her mouth, the more he/she comes across as a complete dick, utter wanker etc.
    i don’t see it happening but man i want BJ to win this fight

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 13 Thumb down 6

• THEGUNNER says:

Im going for b j here. He wants to make a statement after getting beat up by diaz.

• AlphaOmega says:

It’s like neither one of them can decide if they want to be good or bad, Rory says that he’d like to fight B.J because he’s a legend and a stern test, and now lately basically says he’s not and is fat. B.J. says he wants to fight Rory because he’s up and coming, a great fighter and from tri-star and he sees big things from him, and now says that he’s just some young punk (may of not said those words) who looks like a wooden robot (i know it was some kind of robot) when he fights and isn’t a prodigy.

• AlphaOmega says:

Ok, does anyone else get a Server Timed out message EVERY time they post a comment, and then when hitting refresh it says you already said that? Or is it just me.

• Creature says:

I do alpha

• MCM says:

not every time but more than I like. I thought it was just me.

• MCM says:

And I totally agree with Highsight.

on a side note, anyone else notice how “Metrosexual” these Tristar guys are? GSP, Rory, and that guy from TUF. Not your typical MMA fighters.

• sides666 says:

I hope bj stomps him. I do like rory alot but i think a definitive loss to bj would be a good thing for everyone involved. Rory would come back ten times better and getting to see bj fight when he actuaully gives a shit to train properly is truly a great sight. Bj complaining about how his name doesnt get mentioned when people are discussing p4p list is entirely in my opinion his fault. Rich bastered got lazy instead of getting better.

• hindsightufuk says:

just on the p4p thing, BJ is one of the very few guys who has actually manned up and fought way above his weight class. he deserves a mention in any p4p discussion because he’s actually done it.

also takes me fucking ages to post a comment, for some weeks now as well

• AlphaOmega says:

wow someone came through and neg thumbs down bombed these comments hard.