“Cyborg” Santos changes course, says she can make bantamweight

After maintaining the notion of a bout at bantamweight was a medical impossibility, former Strikeforce champion Cristiane Santos has admitted she is not only able to slim down to 135 pounds but willing to do so if given some flexibility. The news is particularly notable as it pertains to a potential super-fight between “Cyborg” and popular 135-pounder Ronda Rousey.

Santos confirmed her openness to the move in a statement to MMAJunkie, saying, “In one month, I can’t do it, but if I have time, I could do it.”

Prior to the comment the 27-year old Brazilian had made it clear she could only meet Rousey halfway at 140 pounds. However, it seems the UFC’s newfound interest in promoting female fighting may have swayed her opinion. A bout between Rousey-Santos was even listed on the Brazilian version of the UFC’s website as taking place at UFC 157, though officials have since come out to say it was a mistake.

The 10-1 Santos is currently suspended for steroid use but will be clear to fight again in a little less than two weeks. Prior to her shelving she had established a reputation for herself as one of MMA’s most feared foes, stopping eight of her opponents with strikes including Shayna Baszler, Marloes Coenen, and Gina Carano.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• moosebaby02 says:

That sound you just heard was someone shitting her pants

• AlphaOmega says:

I agree, I bet Ronda finds someway out of this now.

• Richard Stabone says:

Ronda will latch onto an arm and Cyborg will still beat the hell out of her with the other.

• darth_irritable says:

Richard – or she’ll pull off one of Rousey’s and beat her to a TKO with her own limb :)

• Sumoninja says:

OH! AMAZING!!! You CAN lose the weight!!! I thought that was physically impossible! Wait, no. I knew all along this was the stupidest idea ever.
    I say Rousey eats a few punches but armbars Cyborg in the first round. Just a guess.

• Dachman says:

Just remember the Cyborg of the past was just that a roided up cyborg. I have a feeling physically this will not be the same person. This would be a tough fight for sure!

• darth_irritable says:

Dachman, what you find with steroids, is that once they come off, after about a year, the body bounces right back to a high level of Testosterone. Plus a lot of the strength will still be there.

• THEGUNNER says:

Id like to see cyborg beat ronda down and shut her mouth. I wonder how fighters are gonna feel when these bitches get more $ than they get with a debut.

• Creature says:

YES! Im very happy, would you all like to know why? Because Ive wanted someone to shut Rhonda the hell up and humble her for a while now, and Cyborg WILL do it

• AlphaOmega says:

We’ll see if I’m right about Dana dropping WMMA if Ronda loses on Feb 23rd to Liz Carmouche, if that happens, Cyborg being able or unable to cut to 135 becomes moot

• THEGUNNER says:

I think it would be funny as hell if they dropped wmma. I doubt it some wmma fights are interesting but not much imo.

• jasonah says:

I dont think that Dana Gives a shit about womens M.M.A. all I think He want’s to do, is Try to market a pretty Female that is a Champion. I think that if Cyborg got a hold of Rousey that Pretty face would get busted up! Also don’t think it’s in uncle Dana’s Game plan for his pretty champ to get beat up by a Ripped chick that looks like a dude, that also has Elevated testostorone Levels. That is not good Business sense.

• AlphaOmega says:

That’s why I’ve been saying that Dana will drop WMMA as soon as Ronda loses, he’s putting all his eggs on her, she loses, her mystique and undefeated record is gone, she’s gone. It’s also the reason I think he’s just signing one wmma fighter at a time.

• jasonah says:

” update ” I’m here alot earlier than usual, Other web sites are saying ” Dana says If Rousey wins Here next fight will be Cyborg! On a nother note, Bad ass card on T.V this weekend, Glad The U.F.C throwns down when they come here to Seattle.

• Angry Mike says:

UFC won’t drop women’s MMA. The org. Is all about increasing the fan base, and women’s MMA has enough fans and prospects for the long haul. If there was even a chance that it was dependent on just one or a small number of fighters, I don’t think UFC would have jumped in.

• Creature says:

If Rhonda falls through the UFC can always fall back into Cyborg. Easy pitch, “Shes a destroyer, can prolly beat most guys at her weight” Or Meisha Tate, Tate is still very skilled and IMO just as good if not better looking than Rhonda. WMMA will be fine