Rory MacDonald: “I’m gonna annihilate him in every field.”

Welterweight B.J. Penn might be a surefire UFC Hall of Famer but UFC on FOX 5 opponent Rory MacDonald doesn’t seem to have a very high opinion of what “The Prodigy” has to offer him as far as a challenge goes. Though MacDonald respects Penn’s contributions to MMA, his confidence level is so high he can’t seem to envision any outcome other than pure dominance.

“My mindset – it’s just focused on hurting him, destroying him, and getting the job done,” explained the 23-year old MacDonald in an interview with MMAFighting. “I respect him. There’s a lot of things that I admire about him. But I don’t think about them. I have a very cold mindset. I’m gonna go in there and take what’s mine.”

“I think I’m gonna annihilate him in every field,” MacDonald concluded when asked to predict the bout’s outcome.

The 13-1 MacDonald has established himself as force to be reckoned with at 170 pounds with dominant victories over Che Mills, Mike Pyle, and Nate Diaz. Twelve of his wins have involved some form of finish.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

But wait in an interview earlier in the week he said now that he’s a grown man he doesn’t admire anyone, that he only did that as a child..these two can’t decide what talk they want to say.

• Creature says:

I think Rory has got this for sure, but “annihilate” is going a bit far, especially in the stand up where Penn will definitely have the advantage.

• hindsightufuk says:

i cant begin to describe how much i want BJ to win this fight

• moosebaby02 says:

Have to go with my fellow Canadian on this one. As much as he is sounding like a jerk Rory is 100% right on this one. This is going to be bad from the walkout right until the rush BJ into surgery. Rory is on a different level. Thats why after GSP beats down Diaz he will take off too MW so his boy can take over the division

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Alright then.
    Rory, Rnd 2 , by ABUNCHAPUNCHES.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

But I gotta tell you, I’m looking forward to this more than any other fight on the card

• Richard Stabone says:

When Rory first burst onto the scene he seemed like a somewhat shy/reserved dude, and plus his name if freaking Rory. He just seemed more like an “aw shucks” kinda dude. But then he gradually started talking massive amounts of sh*t that shows an utter disregard for his opponents. Yeah it’s obnoxious and lacking in maturity as you might expect from a dude barely into his 20s, so I can understand why it will rub people the wrong way, but he’s a huge talent and I like his overall mindset.

I think this fight will play out somewhat similar to Shogun-Vera, with BJ playing the role of Vera…. showing up highly motivated, pushing things as far as he can and making a good fight out of it, but ultimately suffering a beatdown.

• qat says:

Rory is trying to create a strong image for himself i think. Cant condemn him for that.

• MCM says:

I think Rory is trying to get out from under GSP’s shadow. When he first arrived all the talk was how he was the next generation of fighter, just like his mentor GSP. GSP has “Mr. Nice Guy” on lock, so Rory is going with the opposite tactic. It’s fine by me.

I agree with hindsight in that I really want to see Penn win but can’t honestly see how he’s gonna do it. Rory really is the 2nd best WW in the game IMO.