Alexander Gustafsson wants title-shot but won’t wait

Alexander Gustafsson v Mauricio RuaUFC light heavyweight Alexander Gustafsson has done more than enough to earn a go at divisional gold, stringing together six straight wins including success against the likes of Matt Hamill, Vladimir Matyushenko, Thiago Silva, and most recently Mauricio Rua. The 25-year old Swede’s victory over “Shogun” in co-headlining action last night at UFC on FOX 5 was perhaps his most impressive performance to date as Gustafsson dismantled nearly every attack the former champion offered while delivering a good deal of damage in return.

Though Gustafsson’s stock is exceptionally high at the moment, “The Mauler” revealed he’d personally prefer to risk his status as top contender by fighting again in immediate future rather than sit around and twiddle his thumbs for six or more months.

“I want to stay active. I want to fight. I will fight whenever,” explained Gustafsson at the post-event press conference. “I was away for a long time. I fought the last time in April, and that was too long for me. To wait till summer again, that would be too long. I want to fight earlier than that.”

“I want to fight for the belt, and if they give me one before that, it doesn’t matter. I’ll fight whoever,” he concluded.

Interestingly enough, on Fuel TV’s post-event coverage, UFC President Dana White hinted at the possibility of Gustafsson stepping in to face Lyoto Machida at a show in early 2013 based on the questionable health of Machida’s current opponent, Dan Henderson.

Highlights from the press conference can be seen below including Gustafsson’s take and reaction from other UFC on FOX 5 fighters like Nate Diaz, Rory MacDonald, and Benson Henderson

• hindsightufuk says:

see, if Chael Sonnen wasnt involved the LHW picture would be clear.
    Jones just fought, Gustafsson beat Shogun, gets next titiel shot in Feb/March.
    Machida/Henderson winner gets next title shot. throw Rashad & Davis in the mix with Glover & Rampage etc and it all starts to make sense.
    But no
    Fucking whole division is backed up for 10 months while some dumbass TV show builds up to one of the least deserved title fights in combat sport history and a fight that very few people really give a shit about and even less people think the challenger has any kind of chance.
    but i guess its $$$$$ that make sense nowadays.
    The Ultimate Fighter – putting whole divisions on hold since 2005

• moosebaby02 says:

OR
    If everyone in the LHW div who had a chance to step up when asked did so then Chael wouldn’t be able to sneak in there and steal the limelight from everyone who NOW have issues with it. Chael is being rewarded for being the YES MAN.
    So ya at the end of the day its all about $$$$$$ but if you really want to blame anyone or something then lest go back to the start of this mess and how it all started. DAN HENDERSON. If he disclosed his injury in time to the UFC then they would have found a replacement in time stopping the whole circus that fallowed

• hindsightufuk says:

of course Chael Sonnen said yes, he’s gonna get paid a fortune, loads of exposure, chance to make some witty african american comments, and all he’s gotta do is show up and get hurt with a gut shot in the first round and then fail a piss test.
    Zuffa could have just laughed, patted him on the head, thanked him for his offer and said actually we’ll wait for a real challenger.
    but nooooooooo

• moosebaby02 says:

Lol
    And that’s exactly whets going to happen. Just like the script reads. But im going to have fun watching it

• MickeyC says:

I agree, I mean is there ANYONE out there that thinks Chael has a shot of winning AT ALL? What a joke. I mean I luv the dudes game, and how he plays it, but this is the biggest waste of time I have ever seen.

• Angry Mike says:

Rua v. Gustaffson was a frustrating fight to me. I’ve got nothing against Gustaffson, but if Rua had been in proper condition, I think he would’ve destroyed Gustaffson. I wonder if Rua’s knees prevent him from training properly.