Dana White wants to see B.J. Penn call it a career and retire for good

B.J. Penn v Rory MacDonaldMinutes after an October 2011 loss to Nick Diaz had been recorded, UFC icon B.J. Penn revealed he was hanging his gloves up in order to spend more time with his family and move on with life after MMA. A year later, Penn announced he’d gotten the itch again and made his return to the ring last night at UFC on FOX 5.

Though “The Prodigy” ultimately came up on the wrong end of a dominant decision against Rory MacDonald, Penn didn’t go so far as to say he was retiring again. However, UFC President Dana White wishes he had.

“He didn’t say it tonight but I think B.J. is probably going to retire and I wouldn’t mind seeing that,” said White in an interview with Fuel TV after the event’s conclusion.

“B.J. is a warrior. Talk about a guy that doesn’t give up, doesn’t quit, and keeps coming out. I have so much respect for B.J….I always have, even through the good times and bad times, and I’d like to see him retire. He’s got plenty of money, he’s got a great family who loves him and he’s got babies, a beautiful wife,” White continued. “He’s got nothing left to prove to anybody and everybody loves him.”

The loss to MacDonald dropped Penn’s record to 1-4-1 in his last six scraps with the only win involving a sub-minute knockout of Matt Hughes more than two years ago.

The complete interview with White can be found below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MickeyC says:

I would not mind if he retired. I also would not mind if he gave it one more at 155, but he needs to leave 170 alone.

• elsicilian says:

Agreed. While the sport might not have totally passed him by yet (ie. I think he could still beat quite a few guys at 155), it has certainly progressed past the days when a really talented guy can train half-heartedly, compete above his natural weight class, and win a title. Even if he was still a young prodigy, BJ would not be able to accomplish that in today’s UFC …

• qat says:

indeed, i cant see him win a title at 155 anymore as well, he has nothing left to prove, and i cant see a fight for him that would make sense story-wise like for example bonnar vs. griffin. he should call it quits.

• Screenplaya says:

BJ needs to call Mike Dolce, get his diet in check, master the weight-cut and fight at the lowest weight he can, just like all the other serious contenders in this game.

I bet he could make 145. I would love to see that.

• Angry Mike says:

Love to fight but hate to train. That’s been the end of many careers, and not just in MMA. The only mistake is failing to recognize your unwillingness to put in the hours in preparation and thinking you can get by.

If he gets handled like that at 155 then I would say call it quits but until that happens he can fight at 155 as far as I’m concerned.