Anderson Silva has asked Dana White for ten-fight deal

UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva may only have two tilts remaining on his current contract with the world’s foremost MMA organization but it doesn’t appear as though he’ll be hanging up his gloves whenever the deal expires. In fact, Silva seems set on fighting for the UFC well into his 40s and recently turned down an offer from the promotion because it wasn’t long enough.

UFC President Dana White spoke briefly about the situation with Silva during a MetroPCS chat with fans.

According to White, Silva was asked to sign an eight-fight extension and said, “F*ck that. I want a ten-fight deal.”

While Silva’s long-term future appears to be handled, his immediate plans still remain up in the air. “The Spider” has been holding out for a match-up with fellow pound-for-pound stud Georges St-Pierre, though it looks like GSP will instead opt for a dance with Nick Diaz rather than a super-fight with Silva. As such, the dynamic Brazilian has been left to either defend his belt at some point in 2013 or sit around and wait for St-Pierre to change his tune.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

10 fights?

I thought Silva wanted to end his career the champ and undefeated inside the octagon?
    If he is going to stay in MW That’s an awfully long time to stick around and not expect to be dethroned.

I love wathcing Silva fight and I truly believe he is the best UFC has to offer but with a few young up & comers and the various changing of the guards we already have seen it’s only a matter of time before somebody has his #… Then again I guess he might feel his legacy is cemented and down the road a loss can’t change what he has and will continue to accomplish.

OR Maybe after a fight or 2 he will just move up to LHW when Jones Moves up to HW and just vacate the title and work on a new goal or just have fun fights?

• MickeyC says:

I hope they put in there that he has to defend his title more than once a year. The one title fight and 1 205 fight a year is getting old.

• MCM says:

This guys says so much contradictory shit that never comes to fruition.

“I won’t fight Chael a second time. I will fight Chael a second time.”
    “I won’t fight Jones. I will fight Jones.”
    “I’m going to retire at 36. I’m going to fight well into my 40’s.”
    “I want to defend my belt for the rest of my career. They should make an interim belt.”

I’m at the point where I just ignore the shit that comes out of his mouth. Whether he fights 2 times more or 200 times more is fine by me….. as long as he fight.

• AlphaOmega says:

I don’t think he’s ever said he would fight Jones

• Brendhan Conlan says:

He’s said he could be open to it but was focusing on GSP for now.

• AlphaOmega says:

Ah ok, excuse me for being wrong.

• Lord Faust says:

My view on this is that Silva just wants security. Not that I would expect the UFC to cut him or anything, but 10 fights on Silva’s current schedule is 5-6 years. This keeps the UFC happy, knowing that they have the GOAT locked up for the remainder of his career, and Silva can still retire whenever he wants. (They can’t make him sign bout agreements, all they can do is offer.)

I would love to see another 10 fights with Silva in them, but I am not going to read too much into this. Realistically, the headline is “UFC and Silva will work together for the remainder of his career—however long that will end up being”.