Diego Sanchez expects next fight to be announced by week’s end

Diego SanchezOriginal Ultimate Fighter winner Diego Sanchez has been shelved since February as the result of injury but that’s not to say the 30-year old hasn’t kept active, chiming in publicly on a number of topics while stating his return to the Octagon would likely come in the lightweight division. Now on the cusp of being completely healthy, Sanchez has spoken up again, confirming he is indeed dropping down to 155 pounds and already has an opponent lined up.

“Announcement about my next fight will be coming soon this week,” wrote Sanchez on Twitter.

The 23-5 Sanchez has already teased a potential tilt with Takanori Gomi (34-8) at the UFC’s return to Japan in March. If paired, the match-up would be laden with potential given each man’s reputation for coming forward and throwing strikes.

Sanchez was last seen falling in a hard fought decision loss to Jake Ellenberger at UFC on Fuel 1. Prior to the stumble he’d won back-to-back bouts, taking out Paulo Thiago and Martin Kampmann. He has not fought as a 155er since making a run at the belt back in 2009 where he took out Joe Stevenson and Clay Guida before getting outclassed by B.J. Penn and ultimately returning to welterweight.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

YES! YES ! YES !

• Screenplaya says:

Not a fan of this kid, but I am glad he is moving back down (at least until he loses his mind again) to his proper weight.

• fanoftna33 says:

Big Deigo fan and would love to see him have another go around with Nick Diaz, the first one was so action packed and with these two it would be action packed again, just give them 5 rounds this time. Not at all opposed to him as a LW though, he looked pretty good in his LW run.

• AlphaOmega says:

Not a fan of him either, I’d love for them to announce his fight to be with Penn in Penns final retirement fight at L.W. I’m pretty sure we’d get a comment out of Diego that he’s either not moving down..or still hurt.

Really AO? I don’t ever remember Diego being one to duck a fight or not go to WAR… He isn’t the best in either weight class but Diego def. has heart.

• AlphaOmega says:

He does, I won’t deny that he has heart, but I still think he moved up to WW because of the ass beating Penn put on him. But I don’t like the guy, so my biased will make jokes on him

• MCM says:

Not a fan of Sanchez either. And I agree with AO that Penn beat him out of the division, but I think he IS better suited for LW. I don’t mind the Gomi fight but think that him and former training partner Melvin Guillard would make for a more intriguing match.

(on a side note, if every time Condit/Diaz gets mentioned we put the word “controversial’ with it, can we put the words “Blatant Robbery” when mentioning Sanchez/Kampmann?)

• hindsightufuk says:

i thought he was already down to fight Gomi in Japan next year?