Johny Hendricks’ continues to make case for shot at Georges St-Pierre

Georges St-PierreUFC welterweight Johny Hendricks has never backed down from a fight and doesn’t plan on doing so in regards to the title-shot he not only feels he’s owed but deserves in the eyes of most. The 14-1 Hendricks has come out with his hand raised in five consecutive clashes, taking out a number of notable foes including Josh Koscheck, Jon Fitch, and Martin Kampmann. However, champion Georges St-Pierre is apparently interested in settling a personal score with Nick Diaz and seems destined to duke it out with him in early 2013.

As a result, the typically reserved Hendricks has spoken up loudly and often on the matter, doing so once again in a recent interview with Sherdog Radio where plead for a single opportunity in place of the two Diaz has already had.

“If he’d have beat Carlos Condit, he would have been fighting GSP at that time and you’ve also got to think, Nick Diaz did have a chance to fight GSP a year and a half ago. He didn’t show up to his press conference. He’s had two shots to get GSP. All I’m asking is for one,” said Hendricks. “If he gets to take it after a year layoff and a loss, then it is what it is. You know what I mean? Enough being said, right? Here I’ve been in the last year, I’ve fought three guys in the top five and I’ve beat them all.”

Diaz would have earned a crack at St-Pierre if he’d taken out Condit this past February, though the bout would never have actually materialized based on the controversial Californian testing positive for marijuana metabolites and receiving a yearlong suspension. He was also scheduled to face GSP months earlier before ducking out on a pair of media obligations and having the fight go to Condit. Ironically, that tilt fell apart too when St-Pierre suffered a minor knee injury and had to withdraw.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Screenplaya says:

I love GSP, but his personal views aside, I think he should give the shot to Hendricks as he has truly earned it. My guess is the UFC knows that they will be able to sell GSP/Diaz MUCH more lucratively than a scrap between two very respectful guys like GSP and Hendricks. They might also not be that enthusiastic about the prospect of relatively boring Hendricks as champion.

Hendricks IMO has nothing for GSP… IMO neither does Diaz BUT that fight generates money and the other just makes sense from a rankings stand point.

GSP isn’t losing to either of those guys.

• AlphaOmega says:

I did like how Hendricks said on twitter that GSP is afraid that he won’t be able to get TDs against him and will give him one free one…really?

• MickeyC says:

Has GSP said anything about why he will not give johnny a shot?

• AlphaOmega says:

I don’t think so, just that he has unfinished business with Diaz and wants him, he wanted him over Condit too, until he got hurt

• JBAR says:

I think Hendricks has a lot more for GSP than people are giving him credit for. He has been knocking out guys that are not easily finished. He is bigger, stronger and has more power than Serra and we all know what happened in GSP Serra 1. We also know that GSP is not known for his KO power so if GSP wins it will be by decision. Don’t get me wrong, I still see GSP as the favorite but damn the way some of you are talking it is like he does not even belong in the cage with him but Diaz coming off a suspension and a loss to a guy GSP just beat somehow does.

• AlphaOmega says:

So because GSP doesnt have consistent KO power..he can’t win by tko or submission? just a decicison?

• AlphaOmega says:

decision I mean.

• Richard Stabone says:

This is fast becoming a tired topic, but to me it’s very simple – Johny Hendricks is the obvious #1 contender but money may once again lead to another less deserving guy leapfrogging his way to a title shot.

Over the past year, Hendricks beat 3 top WW contenders, extending his overall streak to 5. For Nick’s part, he beat BJ Penn (who is 1-4-1 in his last 6 fights), then lost to Condit, and spent the rest of the year haggling with NSAC about another failed test & suspension. So the question of who has earned the #1 contender spot is not even debatable. It just isn’t.

But there’s been plenty of distractions. First, Silva & DW pushing for the GSP-Silva superfight, which is the biggest possible $$ matchup out there right now. But that fight just aint gonna happen.

Then you have GSP’s longstanding desire to beat up Nick Diaz, which started before Hendricks emerged as the top contender and therefore doesn’t really have anything to do with Hendricks. GSP is most fired up about fighting Diaz, simple as that. But he hasn’t come out and said anything about not fighting Hendricks. And in fact, Greg Jackson recently commented about how–for him anyway–Hendricks is the guy he’s looking at & how he views him as a very legitimate threat to GSP’s belt.

The GSP-Diaz fight might happen. Since it will make more money than a Hendricks fight, DW has expressed his willingness to let GSP make that call, in spite of the fact Diaz is coming off a loss & suspension and has no legitimate claim to the #1 contender spot. Yay, money!!

GSP has not yet made any type of definitive statement on his next fight, so we’ve just gotta wait a bit longer for things to play out.

• Alpha, He Could win by something other than decision, he just hasnt in almost 4 years and hasnt finished a true welterweight in over 5, so its not likely. Screenplaya Relatively boring? A guy who’s majority of wins by k.o. in the first round is boring? Damn you’re hard to please.
    In the end Georges can accept or decline any fight he wants….but on paper he sure is focused on the easy one, stylistically that is. Doesn’t want to fight the spider, doesnt want the deserved number one contender, he wants the trash talker whos comin off a loss. First chael now.nick? Rankings just dont count for anything anymore. Our sport is turning into boxing.

• AlphaOmega says:

I kinda think if push came to shove, and it was left up fully to GSP, he will pick Hendricks just because it’s the more deserving/honorable thing to do. And also no topic can be come tired as long as people discuss it calmly and without insults. Hell Faust and I discussed 151 for almost an entire day (week?), with everyone else involved as well.

• AlphaOmega says:

Look at that I’m kinda lucky/psychic with my post. It was in response to Richard, but the first part kinda fits superdave’s since I had no idea what he was typing, same time post yay.

• MickeyC says:

To hell wit it. I guess I am about to be a hated man. F*@k GSP! I 100% think he would rather not fight Hendricks cause it would be a tuffer fight. Dude couldn’t finish a bowl of soup. Bring the hate, but you all know this is truth.

• Niv says:

C’mon Mickey do you really believe GSP is scared of Hendricks?

Hendricks without a doubt earned the number one spot but Diaz has been under GSP’s skin for years now.

This isn’t unique in the UFC no matter how much some try to make it sound. Couture was given title shots right after losses. Lesnar was handed a premature title shot, Sonnen and the list goes on.

Hendricks sill get his shot and GSP will trounce him like he does with every opponent. I recall Hendricks barely beat Koscheck I’m other sure what he’ll bring other than the threat of a big shot.

Anyhow let the grudge match happen and we’ll all be happy it happened.

• MickeyC says:

I would not say scared so to speak, I’m saying he is taking the easier fight. Scared has nothing to do with it.

• JBAR says:

I guess it just pisses me off that 170 has been held up for so long waiting on GSP to return from his injuries and now that he is back he is looking to fight a guy that does not deserve the shot at this time because of his own personal feelings. Guys not getting a shot because the champ is injured is one thing but continuing to hold them up because Diaz has gotten under his skin is just plain wrong.

Alpha, I am not saying it is not possible that GSP could win by KO or submission, just that it is not likely. GSP is one of the smartest, most talented fighters out there. My respect for him is based on the fact that when he came to the UFC he was a stand up fighter who after the Hughes fight realized he needed to work on his ground game. He focused his training on improving his ground game and now even top notch wrestlers can not take him down but he seems to be able to take them down. Serra was responsible for the next real change in GSP’s game. That made GSP realize he could be KO’d and his game since then has been very calculated and he takes very few risks in the cage because he knows he does not need to to win. Prior to being KO’d by Serra GSP was more agressive and it was not uncommon for him to win by KO, TKO or submission.

• AlphaOmega says:

I totally think Hendricks has earned his shot, but my whole thing is that people think he’s the next coming, when really nobody knew or cared about him until he KO’ed fitch, then it was like OH MY GOD!!

• MCM says:

I totally hear you JBAR Niv and AO. Hendricks is the most deserving AND he doesn’t posses anything GSP hasn’t dealt with before. I know people want to see the Diaz fight but lets be real, Diaz would lose to Hendricks, Kos, Fitch, Ellenberger, and probably Rick Story at this point, so what chance does he have against GSP?

The fact is the WW division looked great without GSP in it. But after everybody knocked everybody else out of contention and Condit looked like a B grade fighter, there really is no one left for GSP at WW. The only name I can think of that MIGHT give him a challenge is Rory, and we know that shit ain’t gonna happen. I honestly think GSP needs to move up to MW permanently.

He can superfight with Silva or take on a top contender, either way he needs to vacate the WW belt. Let Rory and Hendricks fight for it and have GSP make a run in a newer and potentially more competitive division.

Same thing can be said of A.Silva too.

• Richard Stabone says:

“I totally think Hendricks has earned his shot, but my whole thing is that people think he’s the next coming, when really nobody knew or cared about him until he KO’ed fitch, then it was like OH MY GOD!”

Well…yeah.

I mean, 5 years ago Johny Hendricks was a collegiate wrestler at Oklahoma State. So it’s only natural that it took a while for Hendricks to start to make a name for himself in the sport, and for people to start to buy in. How many of you picked him to beat Fitch, let alone do so in a fashion no one else has ever done? There were quite a few folks picking Kampmann to beat him, including a certain poster who’s now already completely writing him off should he get a shot at GSP.

But just because people hadn’t realized it yet doesn’t diminish how good/dangerous Johny Hendricks actually was/is. And given his career arc in MMA–only 5 years in and yet to reach age 30–it’s quite possible he’ll continue to improve each time out as he reaches his ceiling. Give the man his shot.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Hendricks will need to say some really obscene stuff about St. Pierre to make him change his mind about Diaz.
    Come on Johny, dig into those inner demons and bad mouth GSP, about his manhood, or his family, or his culture, or his sexuality, but get real NASTY!
    Or, be who you really are – a good person and respectful fighter and all around nice guy, and well, wait in line…your choice.

• MickeyC says:

Call him a pea soup eatter johnny! Or a Ganook(probably spelled wrong. no offence ment to any northanders on da site. I swear). Or you could just tell the truth,that you can beat him& he knows it. That he would rather fight a guy that he thinks he can beat because he thinks his boy cracked the “code” of how to beat the D bros.Say that hes avoiding even speaking your name cuz he knows you can knock him on his ass.

• MCM says:

Richard: “There were quite a few folks picking Kampmann to beat him, including a certain poster who’s now already completely writing him off should he get a shot at GSP.”

Is that directed at me? ;)
    Let’s get something straight. I’m not writing off Hendricks, I’m writing off the entire WW division. Hendricks is hands down the most deserving of a title shot, but I don’t think he’s much a challenge for GSP. He’s not as easy a fight as Diaz, but I don’t see what he has besides a power punch. Hendricks is a great fighter and he’s earned his place in the top of the division and if anyone is fighting for the title it should be him, but NOBODY at WW is anywhere near the level GSP is at.