Junior dos Santos: “I’ll get my belt back.”

Velasquez v Dos SantosOnly a few days removed from a disappointing defeat to Cain Velasquez at UFC 155 sending him to the hospital, former heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos has assured fans he’ll be back in the near future despite the damage he took in the tilt. He also made it clear he is out to earn another crack at Velasquez as soon as possible to prove he’s far better than what he showed this past Saturday night.

“He was better and deserved the win. But I used the wrong strategy. I was too worried about his takedowns and didn’t protect my face, so he hit me,” offered Dos Santos to SporTV when asked to assess his performance. “When the fight was on the ground, I should have used my jiu-jitsu more – I trained it so much. But I just tried to get back up and it didn’t help me. But on the ground he is very good, very strong. I didn’t really connect with any good punches. It was disappointing, because I was feeling good, had an awesome training camp, everything was right. But that’s how fighting is.”

After receiving some serious bumps and bruises from the bout with Velasquez, “Cigano” will need some time off to heal up. However, when he does eventually climb back into the cage Dos Santos is hoping he’ll only need to score a single victory in order to get his hands on Velasquez a third time.

“I want a rematch now, soon. I won the first one and he got a rematch. Now I lost and I want my rematch,” pled Dos Santos. “I’m saying I want this fight. I’ll get my belt back.”

Dos Santos knocked Velasquez out in 64 seconds when the two first faced off a little more than a year ago. His loss to the powerful, precise grappler at UFC 155 snapped a ten-fight run for Dos Santos and was his first stumble inside the Octagon.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

You know what’s funny, is that my friend has been singing JDS’ praises for awhile, then we watched this fight, and now JDS is just a one trick pony who just headhunts.. and yet he bitches about all the other fans flip flopping so easily, like during fights when they flip from cheering one guy to booing him and cheering the other.

On topic: I think JDS should fight at least one more, it wasn’t close enough for an instant rematch, but maybe two more fights with how dominated he got. Granted Cain got dominated in the first fight, but now the HW division has a little more depth then it did then, or hopefully it will if they bring the SF guys over.

• qat says:

Cain did not get an immediate rematch, neither should JDS. Let him win 1-2 fights and see how the rest of the division plays out. I can also see a possible JDS vs. Overeem bout before a rematch with Cain.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

First off , HAPPY NEW YEAR , 5 OZ GANG!!!!! (that’s right, 5 exclamation points you sons of bitches!)

At least Junior has a positive outlook for 2013.
    Looking forward to the third fight.

• AlphaOmega says:

There’s definitely bad blood with JDS/Overeem, but I don’t think the UFC wants to miss out on capitalizing on Reem getting a title shot, unless big foot beats him. Then they probably will make JDS/Overeem fight

• darth_irritable says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing JDS/Cormier. I really hope JDS comes back with the fire and fury that Cain did.

Alpha – definitely agree with your views on flip-flopping. You either like someone or you don’t, but that sudden throwing of fighters under the bus is just bs, and one of the uglier traits of fickle MMA fans. I love me some Hendo, for example, but I know what his limitations are, and if he gets wiped out by Jones, then he lost to a better fighter. Doesn’t make him a one-trick pony (H-Bomb notwithstanding).

And yes – I think he’ll get through Machida, since it’s only 3 rounds.

• THEGUNNER says:

I say give jds werdum.

• darth_irritable says:

Gunner – good call, but Dana’s already earmarked him for a title shot.

• moosebaby02 says:

thats if he wins darth. thats if he wins.
    love to see that rematch