Junior dos Santos claims personal problems at root of poor performance against Cain Velasquez

Velasquez v Dos SantosThe Junior dos Santos fans saw a few weeks ago in a heavyweight title-bout with Cain Velasquez at UFC 155 was far from the fighter folks had come to know during the former champion’s run in the organization leading up to the tilt. In the headlining clash, Dos Santos was outclassed in every department, eating strike after strike without ever really returning fire, and suffered a clear-cut Unanimous Decision loss as a result.

Dos Santos was recently asked if he could pinpoint what his problem was in the match-up, and, rather than profess to be at his best, “Cigano” stated he had a few issues during the bout’s build including some matters in his life outside of the Octagon he wasn’t willing to detail.

“Really it was my head,” said Dos Santos of the lackluster showing in a conversation with Brazilian outlet Nagradedo MMA. “I had some personal things going on (and) a bit of my attention was lacking because of it.”

“And another thing. Soon after the fight I went to the hospital and had a scan, which showed my creatine level was too high. The normal level is up to 300, mine was in 1400. I also had trouble in the urine and kidneys,” he continued. “The explanation of the doctors is that I pushed over the line, I over trained, and problems could have happened even before the fight… I was so good that I ended up crossing the line. That was the explanation of doctors. Mine is that I was not good with my head, was having personal problems and did not go well mentally in the fight.”

The heavy-handed striker’s loss to Velasquez was Dos Santos’ first since signing with the UFC and snapped a ten-fight winning streak. On the bright side, it was also a learning experience for the 28-year old who concluded, “Going forward I will be more careful, it will take my body to the limit all the time. I need to know how my body is reacting to what I am doing. We need to be a bit more professional about it. I will do tests during preparation. This fight also taught me that we have to be stronger with the head, think things strategy and better monitor the tactical part.”

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• THEGUNNER says:

He better get his excuses ready cuz reem, big foot, and werdum want a piece of him.

• AlphaOmega says:

What happened to not wanting to make excuses to take away from Cain’s win?

• hindsightufuk says:

personal problems plus forgetting how to throw punches to the face for 5 rounds, seemingly the one and only way of winning a fight he has.

• RicM says:

…..I don’t get it……Nike sponsorship, H.W. champ of the world, a hero in Brazil to the everyday man…..and you’re not right in the head???? I’m not shittin on ya Junior, but I don’t get it…..

• Richard Stabone says:

I predicted Cain’s beatdown of JDS pretty much as soon as the first fight ended, but I’ll give JDS the benefit of the doubt here. With these quotes, it’s tough to really understand the context. Was JDS trying to make excuses in a way that might discredit Cain, or was he simply being transparent in trying to communicate what it was like to deal with everything this past year after capturing the UFC’s HW belt? I mean, that’s a life changing event, bringing a completely different level of attention, for better & worse.

So anyway, I read those comments as a good guy simply being transparent with some of his thoughts & emotions, but not necessarily trying to take away from the fact that Cain beat him down, plain & simple.

• darth_irritable says:

This is pretty disappointing to have him turn around and make excuses.

Also, I think he’s probably referring to Creatinine in his urine, which is a pretty normal side effect of Creatine supplementation. Mine is elevated too, for just that reason.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

JDS’s comments translated to English= “Cain sucked my will to perform, compete, and win right out of me. But I will be back “