Ronda Rousey not a fan of Georges St-Pierre’s style

GSPThere’s no question UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre is one of the company’s biggest stars. He’s a huge PPV draw, gets worldwide recognition, and has established himself as a pound-for-pound great by beating the bulk of his opponents in impressive fashion.

However, St-Pierre’s status doesn’t mean he’s beloved by all. In fact, it turns out one of GSP’s title-holding peers isn’t a huge fan of his work.

“I respect Georges St. Pierre as a businessman and an athlete. I don’t have anything against him personally. But he’s not the kind of fighter I like watching,” said bantamweight Ronda Rousey in a recent interview with the Las Vegas Review Jounrnal. “He fights to win matches. He doesn’t fight to defeat his opponents.”

St-Pierre has received criticism in the past for not putting foes away. The 23-2 champ is currently on a ten-fight winning streak including a submission and two TKOs in the bunch with the most recent coming by way of corner’s stoppage (against B.J. Penn) in 2009.

Though Rousey, who has finished every opponent she’s faced thus far in her young career, doesn’t necessarily enjoy watching St-Pierre perform she thinks she understands the root of his popularity. Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with his success in the Octagon but rather a few factors unrelated to in-ring ability.

“Everybody keeps coming up to me and saying, ‘Oh, do you think if you didn’t look such a way, people would like you so much?’ I’m like, ‘Dude, if GSP was butt ugly, you wouldn’t want to know who he is so much,’” explained Rousey, adding, “I think he lucked out a lot that he’s Canadian. I love Canadians. They are the coolest, nicest, most patriotic people, and they will support their countrymen no matter what, and I think that’s commendable.”

“But if GSP wasn’t really good-looking, and really Canadian, he would be really unknown,” she concluded.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE/UFC

• THEGUNNER says:

Her mouth will be her down fall. Mma has been a mostly man sport until like 5 years ago and im positive all us married men like myself dont watch ufc to check gsp out. We watch it to see real skill and art of self defense. she can keep dreaming that we ll tune in to check her out but ill be watching and hoping she ll be the first ufc female champ ane the first female to get knocked ot in the ufc by cyborg a women with skill.

Well-Done. Thumb up 17 Thumb down 4

• qat says:

Rousey is the girl i would take with me as a winggirl to a bar or something. For everything else, meh.

• raker says:

She has good points.

After his fight against Condit, GSP said something along the lines of not wanting to commit to a submission because Condit was good at sweeps and reversals. He’s so worried about the other guy that he wouldn’t even try to end it. He played it safe… To win the match, not to defeat his opponent.

I’m Canadian and agree with her. His PPV buys are so high because, as Dana has said, Canada is the Mecca of MMA. We want to see our countryman. I am getting bored with his style though and will give my PPV buys to one of the other champs. I get more entertainment value out of guys like Henderson, Anderson and Bones, for example.

Still waiting for the Rousey-Carano match up. Just to see them together at the weigh jobs in their underwear. Seriously, that would be a fight that I’d pay to see.

• raker says:

Weigh jobs? Auto correct strikes again!!

• While im usually one to bash gsp for point fighting, in that case he was smart. Carlos has kimura swept all but two of his ufc opponents. Hell, that was how was was taking Carlos to win. Damn Georges and his smart tactics.

• moosebaby02 says:

hahaha
    little kids and their mouths. If GSP brushes off what legit people/fighters have to say about him what makes her think that he will care what she has to say

• raker says:

Exactly super Dave.

GSP always plays it safe and it’s caused him to become a boring fighter. He’s an amazing athlete and mixed martial artist but he doesn’t take chances. Sure it’s smart to exploit a fighters weak spots and avoid their strengths but I think that there’s too much of that going on with GSP. He used to be a destroyer and hasn’t been the same since he lost to Serra. Physically amazing but mentally weak IMHO.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Rousey hearts St.Pierre.
    It’s so painfully obvious!