Rory MacDonald plans to make lasting impression on Carlos Condit at UFC 158

Carlos ConditUFC welterweight Rory MacDonald has established himself as one of the top 170ers in the sport despite only being 23 years old. However, as bright as his future may be, MacDonald is consumed by the past as it relates to his 2010 performance against Carlos Condit.

MacDonald, a relative unknown at the time, took it to Condit throughout the bulk of their bout and seemed to have a decision locked up before eating a few strikes in the final ten seconds turned the tables and resulted in a TKO win for “The Natural Born Killer”. Now, with a chance to avenge the loss when the two collide in mid-March at UFC 158, MacDonald is locked in on making sure Condit is the one losing sleep after their clash’s conclusion.

“I just want to do what he did to me. I want to make him feel the embarrassment I felt in front of his family the same way I felt. I want to hurt him the way he hurt me and I don’t want him ever to forget the time that we’re going to be in there for those 15 minutes. I want him to think about that for the rest of his life,” said the animated MacDonald in an interview with BJPenn.com, adding that Condit has another thing coming if he’s expecting a scrap similar to their first meeting.

“My overall MMA game has changed so much and I’ve added so many different techniques that from where I was when I fought him the first time,” explained MacDonald. “I’m just a whole other fighter; I don’t fight anything like I did when we first fought.”

The 14-1 MacDonald is on a four-fight winning streak including a recent beatdown of B.J. Penn. Comparably, Condit (28-6) had strung together five straight victories before falling to champion Georges St-Pierre in his most recent rumble.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• THEGUNNER says:

Carlos gots this.

• G-DUB says:

For a less talented, less professional fighter, these words might be intimidating. For Condit and his guru-strategist, Rory fighting with revenge on his mind will be considered a mental edge for team Condit.

• G-DUB says:

Every time he opens his mouth, Rory becomes less likable. He also becomes a more interesting, must-see fighter.

• I still don’t understand how Rory is a top welterweight. His best win is a guy who came out of retirement after a horrific performance to deliver another horrific performance. Rory also didn’t do much in the first fight other than lay in Carlos’s rubber guard and eat elbows.Rory may have changed as he improves every fight but Condit has turned into a quicker starter th an previous years.carlos by head kick

• Richard Stabone says:

Since the fight where Rory let it slip away against Condit, he toyed with Nate Diaz while tossing him around the cage. Then he tore thru Mike Pyle and Che Mills, who’ve won 7 outta 8 and 6 outta 7 fights respectively (i.e. their lone defeat coming at the hands of Rory). Then he put on a clinic while beating the hell out of BJ Penn. I’d say BJ Penn is the best victory for Nick Diaz in his WW career, so in Rory’s case he can take that victory for whatever it’s worth.

Rory is still on his way up and needs to take out some top guys to prove just how good he really is, but I can’t help but be impressed by what he’s done up to this point. I think he’ll be too much for Condit to overcome this time around.

• Angry Mike says:

MacDonald is an impressive up-and-comer. But for the love of Mike, switch to de-caff, kid.

• Midget says:

They’ve both improved since the last time they fought. Especially Rory’s stand up.
    Can’t wait for this one!