Nick Diaz: “I’m just taking it one fight at a time.”

Nick DiazPrior to 2012, UFC welterweight Nick Diaz had taken to the cage at least twice a year for more than a decade. However, a yearlong suspension for marijuana use last February put the polarizing pugilist on the shelf where he’ll sit until March 16 when he meets champion Georges St-Pierre in the main event at UFC 158. While the time off could be seen as bad for a fighter used to activity, Diaz recently explained it wasn’t necessarily a negative thing after traveling such a rigorous road in his career.

“I don’t feel I’ve ever been able to make it to 100 percent leading up to a fight. All of these fights I’ve had in the last couple years have all been pretty back to back. I don’t feel like I’ve ever been 100% and healed up before I started my training for the next fight,” said Diaz earlier today at a promotional press conference. “It’s nice to kind of heal up for a while and take a step back and see what’s what.”

Though Diaz may be feeling refreshed, he isn’t necessarily planning to have an extremely busy 2013 either. In reality, he’s not even looking past St-Pierre, admitting, “I’m just taking it one fight at a time.”

Prior to being suspended Diaz decided to retire from MMA, expressing disgust with the scoring in a clash with Carlos Condit. With St-Pierre’s propensity for outpointing opponents, it seems possible the former Strikeforce title-holder might opt out again. While his future beyond the bout with GSP is unknown, Diaz reassured fans he’s appreciative of the opportunity he received and isn’t looking to call it quits as long as the UFC continues feeding him interesting foes.

“I didn’t think I’d be getting this fight. I figured they’d probably stick me with some hard fights for a while and I’d have to work my way back to the fights I want and the things I want. They way I looked at it I needed some time to see things out,” stated Diaz. “But I’m a fighter, and you if you give me the right fight, I’m going to be fighting.”

Video of the press conference can be seen below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

Yes..he took time off to heal that’s why he’s had a year long lay off

• AlphaOmega says:

Nope still got an error on this topic

• VENOM says:

Not a big fan of the Diaz brothers, but I do feel that a one year suspension for marijuana is WAY too excessive! It’s not a PED, if anything it could hinder a fighter’s performance. C’mon Athletic Commisions, it’s 2013. Get with the times! Colorado and Washington have. :-)

• hindsightufuk says:

Nick didnt say he took a year off to heal up, he said he’s had a year off to heal up, something he’s never done before.
    i thought it was nice to see him not getting too emotional at any of the questions, didnt seem to get his blood pressure up at all. can’t wait to see this fight

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Yep.
    Stay classy, Nick.
    Stay injury free, GSP.
    Every day is one day closer to this fight, and every day I get more nervous that something will go wrong.
    As fighters, I love both of these guys.
    But I can’t see GSP losing this one.
    GSP sucks the will out of Diaz for 4.5 Rnds then ends it will a TKO.
    Afterwards, they hug it out, then GSP challenges Diaz to a Triathlon.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Yep.
    Stay classy, Nick.
    Stay injury free, GSP.
    Every day is one day closer to this fight, and every day I get more nervous that something will go wrong to cancel it.
    As fighters, I love both of these guys.
    But I can’t see GSP losing this one.
    GSP sucks the will out of Diaz for 4.5 Rnds then ends it will a TKO.
    Afterwards, they hug it out, and GSP challenges Diaz to a Triathlon.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Yep.
    Apparently I double posted .
    But doesn’t that show my conviction about my comment?

• AlphaOmega says:

That’d be awesome if they did do a Triathlon after the fight, I’d take Diaz in that setting