Quinton Jackson not expecting stand-up war with Glover Teixeira

Glover Teixeira - UFC on FOX 6 WorkoutsAll light heavyweight Quinton Jackson wanted in his final UFC fight was an opponent who preferred to engage him while standing rather than rely on takedowns and top control. And, when Glover Teixeira was pegged for Jackson’s opponent at UFC on FOX 6, it appeared “Rampage” had gotten his wish in the form of the ferocious Brazilian.

However, a few days out from the fight Jackson is now expressing some disappointment in Teixeira as an adversary. Though the 19-2 Teixeira has won twelve of his tilts with by way of strike-based stoppage, Jackson says he has it on good authority that the 33-year old actually intends to attack with his underrated ground-arsenal.

“I could get excited about this type of fight, but it has been brought to my attention from my manager and stuff that…Glover is really doing a lot of work planning on taking me down and holding me against the cage and stuff like that. He’s planning on pretending like he’s going to stand up to just take me down. Which is okay. I’m not surprised,” said Jackson in a recent conversation with UFC Tonight.

“I don’t know what’s going through his head,” the former champion continued. “I just think that he’s a great ground fighter, so if he really wants to win this fight, why then trade with me in my strong point? Why not get me at my weakest point, which is on the ground? That’s probably what he’s thinking, but he’s got a new thing coming because I’ve trained to take this fight anywhere. Anywhere it goes. If he takes me down I’m getting right back up. I really feel like he’s going to have a hard time taking me down.”

Jackson-Teixeira is set to serve as the co-headlining clash at Saturday night’s show. Jackson is expected to test free agency after the fight, expressing annoyance in the past with a perceived lack of respect from his current employers.

The full interview with Jackson can be seen below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Niv says:

I’m far from being a UFC cheerleader as the be all end all, but in Rampage’s case he’s the last guy who should use the word respect.

This is the same guy that “Rampaged” (pardon the pun) with his suv as he lost his mind and should’ve done time. The UFC could’ve cut him loose but instead supported him.

This guy is a clown and speaking with friends that have met him, they all say he’s a disrespectful jerk in person as well.

Good luck to any organization that picks this headcase up, he’s not worth all the problems that he brings with him.

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

I have it on good authority that Glover is going to make Rampage look so bad, out of shape and past his prime that the UFC would have cut him even if it wasn’t the last fight on his contract.

• AlphaOmega says:

People are probably tired of me saying it, but I hope Glover does take him out and grind him out for most of the fight, like I said in the other article I’ll compromise with the 5oz crew and accept a KO in the 3rd round.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Rampage needs to stop whining. He is just setting up his defeat. If he KNOWS his ground game is a weak spot then find someone to help you get better. Work on take down defense until you get sick of doing it then work on it some more. Don’t have to be a BJJ black belt to stuff a takedown.

Problem is Rampage would rather whine, bitch, complain or whatever that he is getting the short end of the stick. He has some fucked up persecution complex and it wears on people.

• AlphaOmega says:

What’s funny with that Mad_Hatter is that Rampage’s base is wrestling, so he shouldn’t have to work all that hard at it since that’s what he started as, but apparently he neglected it so bad he forgot how to do it.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I either didn’t know or forgot that fact AO. Makes his whining even worse. He has legit 1 punch KO power, but when he says all he wants to do is stand and play rock em sock em robots, people are gonna put him on his back. I hope Glover stands and bangs with him and puts him to sleep.

• raker says:

I lost all respect for Rampage when he said this:

“I lost my love when I lost that Forrest fight. I know that I won that fight. Honestly, I wanted to cry racist stuff.”

• Angry Mike says:

Maybe this is Rampage’s way to manipulate Tiexeira into standing with him just prove Rampage wrong. Rampage’s best chance is to keep it a stand up fight where they trade bombs. By now everybody has figured out that Rampage doesn’t have much else to offer.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Wow!
    I feel Rampage is ready to retire based on these comments.
    I was getting tired of all the bullshit involving him and the UFC, and I want and predict GT to beat the shit out of him, but there’s a part of me that wants RAMPAGE to fight forever.
    He showed much class after the Jones fight.
    Maybe there’s a place for him in Bellator after he recovers mentally,physically, spiritually and emotionally from the beating he’s gonna get from GT.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

@Yourdaddydevilandlord-
    Now THAT would be a sight to see.
    Cut him after Rnd 1 in the Octagon.
    Dana comes in , and after chanelling his inner Vinnie Mac shouts,”YOU’RE FIRED!”.

• AlphaOmega says:

He did show class after Jones, but then I remember a few weeks later he started talking about how nobody he’s fought has the balls to stand with him, and that even Jones wanted to just take him down and hold him because he was scared, or something like that.