Clay Guida: “I look forward to keep turning heads and making a run…”

Clay Guida v Hatsu Hioki - UFC on FOX 6With his first featherweight win officially secured, albeit in somewhat controversial fashion, UFC fighter Clay Guida is ready to make a march towards status as a top contender. Guida picked up a Split Decision victory over Hatsu Hioki last weekend at UFC on FOX 6, snapping a two-fight slide sending him down to 145 pounds after a relatively successful career at lightweight.

Though Guida would be the first to admit his victory over Hioki wasn’t the most impressive of his career, the 31-year old fan-favorite is happy to have beaten an opponent who at one point was in line for a crack at the championship. And, with a triumph over a ranked opponent under his belt, Guida feels it won’t be long before he too is sniffing a title-shot.

“Hatsu Hioki is one of those guys, you’re not going to dominate him. I watched Ricardo Lamas’ fight with him, and that was the fight I used to pretty much get ready for it. He’s one of those fighters who makes you not look very good,” said Guida to MMAJunkie after the bout, admitting he also needs to improve if hoping to be considered one of the division’s best. “I have a lot to work on, and I’ll be right back in the gym and I feel great in the featherweight division. I look forward to keep turning heads and making a run at it.”

“We’re going to move forward, and there’s a couple guys in front of me that I’d like to get at to climb the ladder quickly,” Guida concluded.

Featherweight king Jose Aldo is scheduled to put his gold up for grabs this coming Saturday night at UFC 156 against Frankie Edgar. The winner is then expected to face Ricardo Lamas unless a rematch is booked, meaning Guida will need to win at least two more tilts to get an opportunity of his own. However, considering his past success, it’s hard to doubt the likelihood of such happening. Guida holds an overall record of 30-13 with impressive wins in the past over the likes of Nate Diaz, Takanori Gomi, and Anthony Pettis.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• hindsightufuk says:

have to admit that for the first time in years i didnt bother watching the prelims for this event.
    the thought of watching Clay Guida turned me off, how did the fight go down? did he deserve the decision win?
    also must be the first time i didnt even bother to FF through a main event, and i even tuned in to Nelson vs Mitrione, but Johnson vs Dodson held absolutely ZERO interest for me. think that may be a first time ever

• AlphaOmega says:

It was a close split decision that Clay’s takedowns won him the fight. I love Guida he’s tied for my 3rd fav fighter, but if he want’s to make an impact at 145 he needs to not do what he did against Hioki anymore.

• danw84 says:

I seriously can’t understand how Clay Guida has fans. Dude is so boring.

• Lord Faust says:

IMO the fight should have been a draw, or 30-29 for Hioki. Ineffective submission attempts — even from the bottom — carry as much weight with me as takedowns that setup nothing.

I don’t like Guida’s style, but he knows how to win decisions. Judges are idiots, and Guida / Greg Jackson know how to play the game. It’s the same reason Leonard Garcia still gets rounds awarded to him when all he does his throw arm punches that hit air. He *looks* busy.

• AlphaOmega says:

I’ve always wondered about strikes like those Faust, do they count as thrown strikes, because if so then a lot of fighters would have a horrible percentage of thrown/landed strikes.

• Lord Faust says:

Not sure. I would hope CompuStrike doesn’t count them, but judges see arms swinging and a guy back away. And all that needless noise dudes make when they throw punches can make it hard to discern, through the cage.

Properly scoring a punch in terms of accuracy and damage is damn hard even with a TV camera, let-alone as seen through a cage — and the questionable eyes of a judge.

Like I said, I think I understand why he won the decision, even if I vehemently disagree with it.