Josh Thomson taking on Nate Diaz at UFC on FOX 7

Nate Diaz - UFC on FOX 5 WorkoutsFor a long time fans wanted to see bouts between the best from UFC and Strikeforce and to an extent that wish has been granted. Though Strikeforce is no longer in business, its competitors remain and a good number of them have been brought into the UFC’s ranks so far including the company’s latest addition – Josh Thomson.

The former lightweight king has been booked for a bout against Nate Diaz at UFC on FOX 7 in San Jose, California. Two significant scraps are already scheduled for the April 20 lineup featuring fighters from the opposing brands in the form of Frank Mir-Daniel Cormier and Benson Henderson-Gilbert Melendez.

UFC officials have confirmed the clash.

Thomson is coming off a decision loss to Melendez many felt he deserved the nod in. He holds an overall record of 19-5 including wins over Duane Ludwig, K.J. Noons, Gesias Cavalcante, and Pat Healy, as well as an outpointing of Melendez back in 2008 clash for the Strikeforce championship.

The 16-8 Diaz was last seen falling to Henderson in a title-fight this past December. Prior to the stumble he’d won three bouts in a row featuring finishes of Takanori Gomi and Jim Miller. Eleven of his victories have involved a submission stoppage.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE/UFC

WAR PUNK

• fanoftna33 says:

I love this fight, Josh is a solid fighter and very well rounded against a former title challenger. Hate to pick a winner here as both guys have a lot to prove out there but in the end I think Josh gets the decision.

• AlphaOmega says:

I sure melendez will have a lot to tell Diaz for this fight, I wonder if he beats nate if the UFC will make a Gil/Thompson fight

• MickeyC says:

I think we may be suprised by alot of these guys 1st octagon fights. I am sure they all of them feel they have somthing to prove.

• hindsightufuk says:

sweet fight man, love both these guys. on his day Josh is a handful for anyone

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I give a big advantage to Diaz. His closest training partner has fought his next opponent 3 times and knows him very well.

I see Diaz getting the win and making it look easier than most think.