Alistair Overeem labels bout with Antonio Silva as a “warm-up fight”

Antonio Silva - UFC on FX 5 WorkoutsUFC heavyweight Antonio Silva is 17-4, has finished all but two of the opponents he’s beaten, and owns a convincing win over legend Fedor Emelianenko. However, regardless of his stats, Alistair Overeem doesn’t seem overly concerned with what “Bigfoot” has to offer in the Octagon when the two meet Saturday night at UFC 156.

Overeem recently spoke to MMAJunkie where he explained he has respect for Silva’s skill but sees it as inferior to his own, expecting their tilt to be little more than an opportunity for him to get back in the swing of things after more than a year on the sidelines.

“Obviously I’ve not fought for 13 months, so it’s going to be a good test for me,” admitted Overeem, continuing, “I should not overlook ‘Bigfoot’ Silva, but if I look at my training and what I do to my sparring partners, I should not make ‘Bigfoot’ Silva more than he is. He should not be a problem, but that’s why it’s a warm-up fight.”

Overeem holds an overall record of 36-11 with 34 stoppages to his credit. He’s currently on a eleven-fight winning streak and is expected to receive a title-shot if victorious this weekend.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

I hope Bigfoot beats him

• danw84 says:

That’s just silly.

• fanoftna33 says:

This is a bad move going into a fight with Bigfoot. I do not see any prolonged standup action here as Bigfoot will clinch and takedown Overeem and get a tko or a submission by the second round.

• Lord Faust says:

Reem is going to destroy him. Bigfoot is a very slow moving heavyweight; if he’s able to get him down, he has a chance, but Reem’s stand-up is going to decimate him.

I’m a huge Bigfoot fan, but this is a very bad fight for him. If he wins, I will be very happy for him — but also very surprised.

Well-Done. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 1

• moosebaby02 says:

I know everyone wants to see Reem fight for a title hell I do as well but Karma HAS to step up here and kick Reem right in the nutts Saturday

• Lord Faust says:

Well, he did lose 13 months of earning time. He doesn’t exactly work cheap, either.

Besides, karma is not retributive. :)

I straight-up think he’s among the very best heavyweights. There’s always a chance Bigfoot pulls out a win, but I the odds on Reem look correct to me.

• Reem SHOULD find Bigfoots chin and put him out in seconds, but I hope not.

• joe mo mma says:

It’s going to be pretty hard for Silva to take Overeem down when he throws those knees.. Silva’s only chance of winning IMO would be if he smothered Reem on the ground, but I don’t see that happening. Reem by TKO due to liver kicks

• Lord Faust says:

If Reem can’t put him away fast, there’s a chance he gasses out. To his credit, though, Reem is a very smart guy and seems to be very good at game-planning. When he crushed Lesnar, he looked like a man who did all his required homework.

• AlphaOmega says:

Apparently 5oz doesn’t like me hoping a fighter I like wins a fight, I would of thought differently.

• fanoftna33 says:

I am with you Alpha, you said you would like him to lose I said he would lose and we get more thumbs down than the rest of the thread, well at least we were right and they sucked, lol.