Anderson Silva might take fight with Chris Weidman on one condition

Chris Weidman - UFC on FOX 2 WorkoutsThe UFC middleweight division was full of contenders a few months ago, giving champ Anderson Silva pick of the litter for his next title-defense. However, nearly all of his options have fallen off the table after coming up short in recent rumbles, leaving the one man Silva has seemingly avoided action against – Chris Weidman.

Despite flirting with the notion of Luke Rockhold and Cung Le as challengers, UFC President Dana White went on UFC Tonight this week to hint Silva may be accepting the likelihood of Weidman as his next foe. Manager Ed Soares confirmed the news in a conversation with Brazilian outlet UOL Esporte, saying Silva could soften his stance under the right circumstances.

According to Soares, Weidman still lacks the name value to intrigue Silva on that front but understands the UFC is pushing “The Spider” in a certain direction. As such, Soares would like to see the bout take place in Brazil where Silva is understandably a superstar.

“They’ll have to spend a lot of money promoting this fight. Anderson has more title defenses than he has fights as a professional,” stated Soares. “Anderson has told me that really wants to fight in Brazil again. Weidman himself once told me that he would be interested in doing the fight there. So I think that’s what should happen.”

Weidman is still out of action for a few more months while he heals up from a shoulder injury, aiming for a July return to the ring. Silva hasn’t fought since an October drumming of Stephan Bonnar but has expressed a willingness to sit out as long as necessary for the right match-up to materialize.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Fair enough. Weidman says he can handle the championship fight pressure, lets see if 10,000 screaming Brazilians bother him.

• Dufresne says:

I have a hard time giving a guy with single digit fights total a title shot. There have been times in the past that have warranted it, and maybe this is one of them, but it just rubs me wrong.

• MickeyC says:

Anyone that thinks the UFC gives title shots to real contenders knows dink about the organization. Same goes for fighters with enough fights under there belt. Examples: Chael and Jones, do you really think Chael has done what it takes win wise to earn that shot. HELL NO! And Amount of fight wise, Brock Lesnar had faught less than a half dozen times before he got his shot, and he had some losses mixed in there. At least Chris has a better record. To be honest I hope Weidman wips his ass, I am just getting sick of Andersons” I should get what I want because I am Me” attitude. Fight the next guy in line where you are told to, or move the hell out of the way. Period!

• AlphaOmega says:

You’re right MickeyC here lately they have definitely let go any pretense of trying to do it the right way and are just going by name power. At least when they made Chael/Silva 2 Chael had to have 2 wins first.

• MickeyC says:

agreed.

• Spoken says:

Chael only had to win 2 fights because he got popped for high T:E and then got into legal trouble. Otherwise he would have gotten an immediate rematch. As far as Weidman goes, since when does beating Mark Munoz make you the #2 middleweight in the world?I would much rather see Silva fight Hector Lombard, Luke Rockhold, or “Jacare”. Honestly, I would even be fine with a rematch with Vitor in Brazil over Weidman. In a perfect world, I would say Silva fights Rockhold to unify titles, while Jacare fights Weidman for the title shot, and the winner of Lombard v Okami fights Vitor for the follow-up to that. Then the only chance for a rematch is if Vitor makes it to Silva, if I’m not mistaken.

• Lord Faust says:

A title shot with very few fights makes sense, if the person is established. Brock is a prime example; the UFC didn’t have to do a whole lot to hype him. Weidman is still a big unknown; he hasn’t fought in a while and the last time he did was on a TV event that didn’t do great ratings.

But, there’s no one else. I am pretty sure Anderson will fight Weidman, crush him, and we’ll be talking about when Rashad might drop down some more.

• AlphaOmega says:

There are other people though, like Spoken pointed out, there’s Lombard, Rockhold, Jacare. Or even Kennedy or Le. Would they be tough fights for Silva? Some might be, other’s not, the problem is though not all of them have massive names that the UFC wants. They are larger names then Weidman though

• Lord Faust says:

Lombard needs to avoid getting Okami’ed into another lame decision loss. Definitely doable, though.

Rockhold just does not strike me as a legit contender; arguably he lost the decision to Jacare when he was awarded his belt, and a defence against Keith Jardine isn’t upping anyone’s stock.

I’d say Jacare and Lombard are the only real contenders right now. If the Rockhold / Belfort fight happens, and Rockhold puts on an impressive performance, then I’d argue he’s earned his way into the discussion. No knock on the man, but being in Strikeforce didn’t help his marketability at all.

• moosebaby02 says:

I will be rooting for who ever fights Anderson cause his seconded coming of Christ attitude is starting to get to me

• MickeyC says:

Me as well, I’m also a bit tired if hearing from Ed Soares, rather than Anderson.

• JabCrossHook says:

The whole Chael vs Jones thing is ridiculous in my opinion and is basically making the sport seem less legit. Chael had zero fights at LHW and is coming off a loss, now its like the UFC isn’t even trying to hide the fact that they will give a title shot to the fighter who will generate publicity and a bigger pay day than a fighter who has been climbing up the ladder beating top fighters.

Good for UFC’s profits, not good for the image of MMA being a legit sport.

• AlphaOmega says:

It’s not just Chael/Jones, look at Edgar/Aldo, sure Frankie held the LW belt, but he’s not once fought at FW, and is on a 2 fight loosing streak, but still gets a title shot.

• JabCrossHook says:

Exactly and yet Chang Sung Jung sits on the sidelines with a three fight winning streak against top competition.

KZ has looked amazing lately, also slightly off topic but everyone look up Shahbulat Shamhalaev, he’s a prospect at 145, and his striking is amazing. Great head movement and footwork, along with lightning fast hands with serious power behind them.