Cristiane Santos: “I am not afraid of Ronda!”

Ronda RouseyFerocious featherweight Cristiane Santos has taken a ton of criticism over the past couple of months due to her alleged inability to slim down to 135 pounds for a super-fight with UFC bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey. In the opinions of many, including UFC President Dana White, “Cyborg” is simply dragging her feet on the process and could make the required mark if truly motivated to do so.

Santos has grown tired of the insinuation the weight-cutting issue is a matter of motivation rather than concern for her own health and recently decided to address the issue in a heated message posted through Instagram.

“I am not afraid of Ronda! I will fight her anywhere and anytime for free,” wrote Santos. “Everyone knows I barely make 145, but I am willing to sacrifice and meet her half way at 140. I can’t believe Dana says I want nothing to do with Ronda – what he wants me to do is fight Ronda with both my hands tied behind my back or comatose so that she can have a chance, which is what making me fight at 135 is.”

“To finally shut everyone up I will fight Ronda with one hand tied behind my back at 140 pounds and still kick her ass and prove that I’m the real champ not her,” the 27-year old continued. “Let the winner take ALL. Come on Ronda, step up bitch!”

The 10-1 Santos hasn’t fought since December 2011, sitting out for a year due to a drug-related suspension. Prior to the situation she’d won scored a quartet of consecutive wins under the Strikeforce banner with all of the victories involving a strike-based stoppage. Meanwhile, Rousey (6-0) is set to defend her UFC belt for the first time in a few weeks at UFC 157 where she’ll face Liz Carmouche.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• AlphaOmega says:

She does realize she’s contradicting herself yes? First she says I will fight her anywhere and anytime…then she says only at 140 not at 135.

There’s so much bouncing back and forth on this topic, Faust is probably right that past interviews with her have been misinterpreted, but then there’s the UFC nutritionist who says that he can get her to 135 easily and healthily, and DW said he’d even foot the bill for using him.

• Lord Faust says:

The “anywhere any time” sounds more like “pick a parking lot and we’ll hash it out for free”.

Dolce is over-hyped. He’s read some books — and sold a whole bunch, too — but he’s not some sort of miracle worker. He’s not even a medical professional in any real sense of the term. I’m not saying his diet plans are worthless, but they’re not a cure-all.

Saying “all Cyborg needs to do is drop some muscle and change her diet” is something no one can prove the veracity of. Dolce works with males — that’s a totally different physiology. And, even then, regardless of what Dolce says, there is no healthy way to cut 20% of your body weight in short period of time.

The only real issue is that Rhonda is the one the UFC is promoting, she has all the leverage. I think demanding Cyborg drop to 135 is absurd, given her weight cutting problems in the past. Even if she agreed to do it, and pulled it off, it seems ridiculous that her first fight in a new weight class is a title shot; if she were to do this, she’d need at least one fight to see if the cut didn’t completely destroy her.

TBH, I am so sick of this back-and-forth. The UFC wants Rhonda to be their poster-girl; that’s why they’ll stick behind Rhonda wanting Cyborg to cut down. If that means Rhonda gets an easy win over a depleted Cyborg, whatever, who cares, their figurehead gains more stock.

I am 90% confident this fight will never happen at 135.

• AlphaOmega says:

Sadly in the long run I don’t think it’ll matter because I’m pretty sure that as soon as Rhonda loses the UFC will stop their WMMA division. Just the fact that Dana even said they are only signing people to come in and fight her enforces that.

• Lord Faust says:

If she loses right away, yes. They’re probably going to see what the reaction and PPV buys for 157 are.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Maybe I am missing something , but I don’t understand what is so wrong in the UFC saying “our women’s division is only this weight class and if you want to fight for us this is the weight you must make” to Cyborg.

She is not currently a UFC employee and UFC does not have every woman fighter under contract. If Cyborg is so pissed about the weight thing go fight someplace that has a heavier weight class. I’m sure Japan and European organizations could find women for her to fight.

Cyborg is making a decision to make the weight cut and attempt to fight in the UFC. No one is holding a gun to her head.

• AlphaOmega says:

There’s nothing wrong with the UFC saying that, it’s just Rhonda and Dana are calling out Cyborg saying that she’s making excuses to not fight Rousey, plus DW knows that fight will bring big bucks.

Honestly Cyborg could go to Invicta and have great success, she’d get paid well and have more people to fight.

• Lord Faust says:

Yeah, Dana threw her under the base recently basically calling her a coward who is throwing up any excuse to not actually fight Rhonda. That seems to be why Cyborg is responding; Dana’s questioning a pro fighter’s courage — I think anyone would be pissed off by that.

• AlphaOmega says:

It’s kinda the same stuff DW and Rousey did in regards to Tate when they announced she was fighting Liz. They made this big thing about how Tate turned down the fight and was scared, when in reality they never asked tate in the first place if she’d take the fight.

• Lord Faust says:

*bus

Ugh, new keyboard at work.

• Lord Faust says:

Dana’s certainly not above antagonizing fighters. Remember, this is the guy who “hates to talk about money” but disclosed Rampage’s estimated UFC payouts simply to make ‘Page look bad — not that he needs help. This is also the same person who disclosed some of Mayhem’s medical info to win a Twitter argument. Dana’s a shirt disturber when it suits his promotional / personal goals.

• Lord Faust says:

OMFG…. “under the base” and “shirt disturber”. I’m'a have some more coffee.

• AlphaOmega says:

Shirt disturber..I like that.

True he’s not above stiring the pot when he thinks it’ll force a fighter to do what he wants, or to change public opinion to tank a fighter.

• Lord Faust says:

I mean, Dana does wear some questionably bad shirts, BUT THAT’S NOT WAY I MEANT!

• MickeyC says:

This is my question. UFC makes crazy fights based on name power all the time. they want Silve/GSp and Silva Jones. What is the big deal about this 5 pounds. Make it a non title fight, and lets see it. Cuz there are not 2 other ladies I would like to see scrap. they are for sure the biggent female names right now. sounds like dana is protecting ronda.

• JabCrossHook says:

Honestly I have no love for Cyborg at all, its different when a male uses PEDs than when a female uses it to develop into having man-sized muscles. Physically it was basically a 165 lb man beating up women who were just in good shape. They basically stepped into the ring with a man at the time which is unfair and disgusting on the part of Cyborg.

That being said Rhonda is the champ at 135 and Cyborg was stripped of her title after testing positive for PEDs. These facts alone should mean that its up to Cyborg to cut down to 135 to fight Rhonda.

• Lord Faust says:

I find it funny the UFC crowned a champ with no division. Why did the flyweights have to do a tournament? (I liked the tournament, by the way.)

There is no 135 “division”. They have a champ, a belt, one fight signed, and won’t even book another WMMA bout until after UFC 157. Dana was being very literal when he said this is a gamble on Rhonda and Rhonda alone; they’re not stupid — they’re going to make Cyborg, or anyone imposing, jump through a lot of hoops for their crack at the poster girl.

Carmouche is fighting Rhonda at 157 because she’s a warm body and according to the oddsmakers absolutely no threat. This is as close to fixing a fight as you can get without breaking laws, as far as I am concerned.

• AlphaOmega says:

Pretty much what Faust said, and they know if they let Ronda fight Cyborg at anything other then 135, the odds of Ronda winning drops by quite a bit, they want the odds to be more like 80/20, not 50/50. I take nothing from Liz, she’s a good fighter, and a former Marine Sergent, but I don’t think her Judo/jits is on the lvl of Rondas.

• adamsfamily says:

Rhonda just annoys the piss out of me and Its been bugging me a whilewho she reminds me of. It’s that chick off terminator 3, who was rubbish.

• fanoftna33 says:

Rhonda adopted this new attitude in saying crazy shit as soon as she realized it was the way to make the most money the quickest, coincidenty around the same time she jumped from 145 to 135. Now I am not going to say she was scared to fight Cyborg which would have been her next logical fight at 145 because honestly the options are far better at 135, you have serious names like Tate, Carmouche, Kaufmann, Smith, Mcmann etc and at 145 there are not some of the names just yet. I love watching some people fight and Rhonda is for sure one of thoes people but I basically tune out everything she says as a money grab.