When it comes to picking this weekend’s featherweight title-fight between champion Jose Aldo and seasoned contender Frankie Edgar, the general opinion has seemed to favor the champion to finish or the challenger if action goes the distance. The insinuation has irked Aldo, perhaps feeling as though he isn’t getting the credit he deserves after more than a year outside of the Octagon.
Aldo discussed the doubt surrounding his ability to fight hard for 25 minutes in a recent conversation with the UFC’s website where he made it clear he’s ready for anything Edgar throws at him at UFC 156.
“I stop for one moment to think about what happened to me last year besides the birth of Joana, I’ll get crazy. Erik Koch, Hatsu Hioki and perhaps Chan Sung Jung could have been my challenges and none of them are in front of me. Frankie Edgar will be though,” said Aldo. “Everything can be talked about and seen, but when the door locks there are many options for a fighter. Before my fight against Urijah Faber in WEC, people said that if he pushed me to the limit of the fifth round, I’d break. But I did it and I did it twice in the UFC, proving I’m not just a champion of the early rounds; I’m the champion because I fight and pass through the challenges that are present.”
Specifically, the 26-year old Brazilian has also scored decision wins over Mark Hominick and Kenny Florian since joining the UFC in 2011. Then again, with fifteen finishes in 21 total victories, a faster route to triumph doesn’t seem too far fetched either. Regardless, Aldo is ready to prove he’s one of the top pound-for-pound fighters in MMA, and will attempt to do so to the world’s delight on Saturday night in Las Vegas.
PHOTO CREDIT – UFC