Demian Maia hunting for a title-shot after win over Jon Fitch

Demian Maia v Jon Fitch - UFC 156With a 3-0 record in the UFC welterweight division since dropping down from middleweight, submission-specialist Demian Maia has earned status as a name to watch in 2013. Maia’s latest instance of success at 170 pounds came this past weekend when he beat former title-contender Jon Fitch by Unanimous Decision at UFC 156. Maia looked sharp throughout the tilt, out-grappling the notoriously tough wrestler.

Maia was asked to reflect on his performance in a conversation with Fuel TV shortly after the win, acknowledging the dominance he displayed should be enough to earn him a crack at contendership in the near future.

“I thought when I got his back I was going to be able to submit him but he defends pretty well,” said Maia of his showing, comparing his victory to the only other stumbles Fitch has experienced inside the Octagon. “Johny Hendricks got him with a big punch. The only guy that I really saw control him was Georges St-Pierre. So, yeah, I’m looking for the title. Since I dropped to this weight class I’ve been thinking about the title.”

Agreeing that a top shelf opponent made sense for his next scrap, Maia didn’t have any specific names in mind.

“No, I don’t care,” replied Maia on the topic, leaving such matters up to his management team.

As it stands, a good percentage of the UFC’s best welterweights are booked for action at UFC 158 meaning the 18-4 Maia will almost certainly be tuning in with the rest of the MMA world on March 16. Among the names that could potentially emerge from the event as candidates for Maia’s future foe are the likes of Rory MacDonald, Carlos Condit, Jake Ellenberger, and Hendricks.

The full interview with Maia can be seen below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I’m afraid I would fall asleep watching 25 minutes of ground fighting. Not saying Maia isn’t talented, just GSP has a tendency to have boring matches and Fitch/Maia was 15 minutes of fighting for position and defending submissions and GSP/Maia would be an extra 10 minutes of that

• AlphaOmega says:

GSP wouldn’t let Maia get him down though

• raker says:

Maia wouldn’t be able to catch GSP. It would be a lot like the Koscheck fight IMO. Wanna see it though. Maia is a different kind of challenge that we haven’t seen GSP face.

• fanoftna33 says:

People have been saying this for his whole Career though, he couldnt take Sonnen down either, couldnt take Fitch down, couldnt take Kim down. The thing about Maia is he ends up taking these guys down. I dont doubt GSP could beat him but Demian has the proverbial punchers chance at getting the takedown and submission at any time.

• raker says:

That could be said about anyone at this level. Anyone can beat anyone on any given day but the better fighter usually prevails. With that said, this fight probably intrigues me more than any other for GSP at the moment. He’s been able to avoid the big power shots of many fighters but he’s never fought anyone with the grappling ability of Maia. Maia looks quick and strong at this weight too. Hope this fight happens sooner than later.

• sides666 says:

Penn was just as much of a threat on the ground as what maia would be imo. Gsp would utilize his jab alot if he faces him.

• raker says:

It’s interesting that you say that because Penn has strayed away from what has been one of his greatest attributes…an insane level of BJJ.

• MCM says:

the smothering of Fitch was highly impressive but I’d like to see him take on another opponent or two before getting a title shot. Welcoming Safferdine or even a rematch with Marquardt would be in order.

• joe mo mma says:

a rematch with Marquardt was exactly what i was thinking too.

• AlphaOmega says:

Also fan I don’t count the Kim fight as Maia taking him down, there was a third influence in there with Kim’s side getting messed up during the sprawl that definitely had an affect.