Shortly after losing a decision to featherweight champion Jose Aldo at UFC 156, contender Frankie Edgar was asked about his plans for the future after suffering a hard-fought stumble in his divisional debut. Though Edgar hadn’t decided about sticking with 145 pounds or returning to lightweight with the defeat so fresh in his mind, it looks like he’ll have plenty of time to think about it after receiving a lengthy medical suspension by the Nevada Athletic Commission for damage sustained in Saturday night’s scrap.
According to a list of casualties provided by the NAC, Edgar may have suffered a broken orbital bone and will have to receive a doctor’s clearance if hoping to return to the Octagon before August 2. At minimum “The Answer” will sit on the sidelines until April 4 with no contact until late March.
Lightweight Evan Dunham is in a similar situation after also dealing with an “orbital blowout fracture”, while bantamweight Francisco Rivera may be shelved until August 2 for a wrist injury he received en route to victory over Edwin Figueroa.
Read below for a complete list of fighters receiving medical suspensions:
- Edwin Figueroa – Suspended until 2/24; no contact until 2/27 (eye laceration)
- Francisco Rivera – Must have right hand/wrist cleared by orthopedist or suspended until 8/2; minimum suspension until 3/20 with no contact until 3/5
- Chico Camus – Suspended until 2/24 with no contact until 2/17
- Yves Edwards – Suspended until 3/5 with no contact until 2/24 (eye laceration)
- Jacob Volkmann – Suspended until 3/4 with no contact until 2/24 (eye contusion)
- Jay Hieron – Suspended until 4/4 with no contact until 3/20
- Gleison Tibau – Suspended until 2/24 with no contact until 2/17
- Evan Dunham – Must have right orbital cleared by specialist or suspended until 8/2; minimum suspension until 4/4 with no contact until 3/20
- Joseph Benavidez – Suspended until 2/24 with no contact until 2/17 (forehead laceration)
- Alistair Overeem – Suspended until 3/20 with no contact until 3/5
- Antonio Silva – Suspended until 3/5 with no contact before 2/24 (chin laceration)
- Antonio Rogerio Nogueira – Must receive clearance by specialist due to right eye injury; indefinitely suspended
- Frankie Edgar – Must receive clearance from specialist or suspended until 8/2; minimum suspension until 4/4 with no contact until 3/20
PHOTO CREDIT – UFC