Randy Couture worried his relationship with Dana White could sour son’s chances of success

Randy Couture and Ryan CoutureIconic competitor Randy Couture has the respect of countless individuals due to his contributions to MMA both in and out of the Octagon. Of course, one person who won’t be sending Couture a Christmas card this year is UFC President Dana White. The outspoken executive recently blasted Couture after “The Natural” inked a deal to work with Spike TV, stating the Hall of Famer was no longer allowed at UFC events amongst other nasty things.

Couture has since responded to the UFC chief’s comments, explaining he isn’t worried about White’s behavior towards him so much as his son, lightweight Ryan Couture. The younger Couture signed a deal with the UFC prior to his father’s fallout with the company and is set to debut in April.

“I’m not really concerned about whether or not I can buy a ticket and go to an event if I wanted to. I certainly still have a number of friends in the fight game, with the organization, that would probably give me a ticket if I asked for one,” said Couture in a recent conversation with Knockout Radio. “My only real concern is my son and I’ve been a big part of Ryan’s career, certainly a big part of his last three training camps as he’s moved up in competition. I’ve helped him formulate some of those game plans in some of those camps and cornered him for his last three fights, so if that’s what Ryan needs and that’s what Ryan wants, then I am certainly willing to walk across that and address that issue, if Dana tries to preclude me from being a part of Ryan’s career.”

The 49-year old went on to state he is under the impression athletic commissions are in charge of who corners fighters rather than the UFC, though he remained hopeful White may soften his stance with a little time to cool down allowing the issue to resolve itself.

“I think the dust will settle and some of this will go away, but I also know that Dana is one to hold a grudge,” said Couture. “He’s not one to forget things and that’s probably why he’s had such the strong reaction that he’s had. He’s still hanging on and harboring some of the old animosity that he’s had from the issues that we had in the past, so it will be what it will be.”

Up next for Couture is a stint as one of the coaches on Bellator’s upcoming reality show as well as a job as host on a program Spike TV is airing called Gym Rescue.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC/TUFFNUFF

• MickeyC says:

I can not see how Dana can keep Randy out of his sons corner, though he may have that kind of pull in Nevada. I dont see Dana being ” out to get ryan” but I do not think he will be doing him any favors.

• AlphaOmega says:

I’m pretty sure they can control who they allow in their event or not if they think it might cause problems

• MickeyC says:

Who knows. I.would think they would have toproduce some sort of back up to their claim that it would cause problems. Its not like the man was fired. Its not like by cornering his son he would have access to top secret UFC company info. At what point would it be a violation of coutures civil rights. But stranger things have gone down.

• AlphaOmega says:

It could also fall under conflict of interest, having him corner Ryan while being a coach for a competitor’s new reality show would bring exposure to the competitor

• MCM says:

No more than having Nick Diaz or Gilbert bring exposure to EXC or pre Zuffa SF. Besides, they’re not saying they are gonna ban Greg Jackson, and he’ll be coaching on the exact same show.

• AlphaOmega says:

No but Dana doesn’t currently hate Jackson, especially since he made that deal with Jones that he wouldn’t talk shit about him anymore. Dana does currently hate Randy though, I’m just saying they can ban someone from cornering a fighter I’m pretty sure, what technical reason they use is up in the air though.

• Richard Stabone says:

Randy wants to support his son for the most important fight of his career. Simple as that.

Meanwhile, Dana is threatening to (try to) prevent a UFC fighter from having one of his lead trainers in his corner, for no other reason than Uncle Dana doesn’t like the guy.

Randy isn’t backing down, and nor should he. I tend to believe Dana will ultimately realize this one isn’t worth fighting, but who knows….he’s a stubborn cuss. If Randy is in Ryan’s corner it’s a neat little story, with the son of a legend making his Octagon debut with his old man in his corner. It would send out positive vibes for the fans in attendance & viewers at home. If anything, it benefits the UFC while Bellator is a complete afterthought. Nobody is going to be thinking about a Bellator TV show on Spike because Randy Couture is supporting his son as he makes his UFC debut. I mean, c’mon now.

But if Dana wants to make a big stink out of this in order to win his own little pissing match with Randy, things could get interesting/ugly. Then all of a sudden it draws attention to Randy Couture–who remains a popular dude and beloved figure in the MMA community–and a story about why Dana White prevented him from being there. As the drama further unfolds it would begin to draw more attention to the Bellator thing and create more attention & intrigue.

Dana doesn’t strike me as the most self-aware fellow so we’ll just have to wait to see how he chooses to play his hand. Given the time to think things thru and gain the advice from other more level-headed folks among the UFC brass, I think this will end up being much ado about nothing.

• Angry Mike says:

Dana can hold a grudge and retaliate without banning Couture from UFC events. It seems to me that the owners of the arenas where the fights occur would have to have input on that. If they don’t back Dana’s play, Couture’s attendance isn’t trespass, and physically ejecting him for no reason sets up claims for battery and false imprisonment, among others.

Besides, that kind of bad theatrics is what you expect from pro wrestling, not a sport that takes itself seriously and wants to be taken seriously.