Frank Mir: “I’ll sign his cast after the fight.”

Daniel Cormier - StrikeforceHeavyweight Daniel Cormier was supposed to fight Frank Mir last November before things fell apart at the last minute due to injury. When Cormier’s spot on the UFC was cemented shortly thereafter, the unbeaten American Kickboxing Academy staple made it clear he still wanted to face Mir based on both the former UFC champion’s accomplishments in the sport as well as it being a bout he was confident in winning.

Mir never backed away from the challenge of trying to do what others like Antonio Silva and Josh Barnett could not in beating Cormier, as it appears his future foe’s overwhelming interest in the fight has stoked a fire burning in the Las Vegas native’s gut. According to Mir, he’s not only motivated, but he’s also mixing it up this time around by heading out to Albuquerque to train with Greg Jackson in hopes of extending an ice cold welcome to Cormier at UFC on FOX 7.

“I’ve always felt I have great trainers so there was no reason to leave, but my wife and I were talking about how I needed to change things up. One of the things was maybe I should get out of town and get more focused,” said Mir of moving camp in an interview with ESPN. “I’ve always been impressed with Greg Jackson’s game planning. I figured, before I retire, I want to be a part of that and see what makes this guy so successful.”

Regarding the test in front of him, Mir isn’t buying into the hype surrounding Cormier considering the number of wins he holds over relatively unknown competitors rather than high-level threats.

“Level of competition is important. He’s done most of his damage in Strikeforce. Not to downplay Strikeforce, but it’s not the UFC,” offered Mir on the topic. “I think it’s going to be another one of those things where people are destined to be disappointed. After our fight, he’s already said he’s going to 205 pounds. That doesn’t sound like a confident guy who wants to stay at heavyweight.”

The 33-year old Mir also doesn’t have any problem putting Cormier on the shelf for an extended period of time either, giving the undersized heavyweight a chance to slim down to 205 if so desired, apparently telling one of his trainers, “I’ll sign his cast after the fight,” when first approached about the match-up.

With bad blood starting to simmer between the two, April 20 can’t arrive soon enough. Mir is 16-6 with twelve stoppages including past wins over Brock Lesnar and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. Comparably, Cormier holds an 11-0 mark including five TKOs and three submissions.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC/STRIKEFORCE

• MickeyC says:

I think Mir could submit him, BUT Mirs take down suck, and he is fighting a man with a wrestling pedagree that not many can match. I’d love to see frank pull it off, but I do not think it will happen. I see him taking an overhand while trying for a sloppy take down.

• THEGUNNER says:

Frank can show d c what the ufc is all about if he trains right a in shape confident mir can compete with the best.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

yeah i think Mir will get schooled-any semi pro wrestler will defeat a soso BJJ guy

• Dufresne says:

Mir isn’t a so-so BJJ guy, he’s pretty damned good. However, this fight isn’t going to the ground until DC decides that’s where he wants it. I can see Mir keeping it competitive in the standing game, but if DC can use the gameplan of Lesnar in his second bout with Mir, it’s going to get ugly. DC isn’t as powerful as Lesnar, but he’s more technical, so I don’t see it being too difficult for him to get in a dominant position and stay chest-to-chest while he makes Mir’s face lumpy.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Mir is a soso Bjj guy

• MickeyC says:

?soso? What are you baseting that on? If Mir is soso, there is not a “good” HW BJJ fighter in MMA right now.who.woule you say is better in the HW devision?

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

learn to spell

• MickeyC says:

Typing on a.phone. You should learn somthing about MMA. LOL. on and I.can spell asshole just fine. haha

• moosebaby02 says:

anyone who breaks Big Nogs arm isnt soso

• Richard Stabone says:

Mir certainly has solid BJJ, and I’ll always respect the fact he was able to come back from the devastating motorcycle wreck that busted his femur and completely shredded his knee. But beyond that, the dude has long been overrated. Since coming back from the injury, the only Mir performance that impressed me was his win over Kongo.

Re: the 2nd Nog fight… while his ability to recover against Nog and break his arm was impressive, but the fight should never have gotten to that point so I can’t say the overall performance was impressive. Nog had Mir nearly KO’d on the feet, and then had him on the ground with Mir completely dazed and not even attempting to protect his head as he lay flat on the mat with Nog beginning to pound away with hammer fists & punches.

But at that point Nog made one of the most inexplicable and poor tactical decisions I’ve ever seen in a fight, when rather than simply finishing off with a few more strikes he transitioned to a sub attempt. Did Nog let his ego get the best of him, wanting to prove his own BJJ chops over Mir’s? Or was he responding to Herb who kept hollering at him to not hit the back of the head (despite the fact Nog was landing clean, legal shots)? Check out the video, with the stuff I’m referring to starting at about the 12:30 mark. Whatever the case, Nog managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and get his arm broken.

Back to the topic at hand, I expect Cormier to smash Mir in a mostly one-sided fight.

• AlphaOmega says:

Nog admits that it was kinda ego, that he wanted to prove that he has slick subs as well and thought hey lets choke him out now instead of TKOing him. He’s fully said it was a mistake and one he shouldn’t of made against someone with Mir’s BJJ caliber. One problem Mir seems to have recently is he won’t block or dodge punches, he just eats them hoping to either get close, or that they will take him to the ground so he can get a sub. But even on the ground he doesn’t block punches, so the ref’s look at is as not defending himself.

• Angry Mike says:

Mir is a very dangerous opponenet for Cormier. Mir has above average stand up and is very dangerous on the ground. He doesn’t have to be in top position to get the submission. He was damn near unconscious and on his back when he caught Brock Lesnar in a knee bar, and Lesnar is still one of the best pure wrestlers to fight in UFC. Even if Cormier is as good of a wrestler as Lesnar was in Lesnar’s pre-illness prime, Mir has the bjj to submit Cormier. Furthermore, Mir is taller and substantially bigger and stronger than Cormier, so if it turns into a grind against the cage, Mir will wear down Cormier faster than Cormier will wear down Mir. If Mir shows up in shape and motivated, I like his chances.

• Richard Stabone says:

I think calling Mir’s stand up “above average” is being overly generous. I think Mir started to get more credit than he deserves for his striking after the first Nog fight, when Nog was coming off the staph infection and going at zombie speed in the cage that night as Mir picked him apart on the feet. But in the 2nd fight, with Nog back to normal speed, he had his way with Mir on the feet.

Mir’s sub of Brock was a complete gift. Brock, in his UFC debut, tossed Mir around and donkey kong’d his head for a while, before Mazagatti brought an abrupt halt to the action for a shot to the back of the head, allowing Mir to escape harm’s way.  Brock eventually stood right in front of Mir and let him grab ahold of his leg, and a clueless Brock was unable to do anything to defend/escape.

Lastly, Barnett was also substantially bigger and–presumably–stronger than Cormier, but that didn’t prevent Barnett from getting ragdolled by DC. Cormier is able to generate tremendous power with his stout frame and elite technique, so if we’re talking about functional strength I don’t see how Mir would have an advantage.

• MCM says:

I think both Mike and Richard make some valid points. I personally think Mir is better in the stand up than his detractors give him credit for. But there are also very few HW’s that can match DC’s strength in grappling. Mir has been almost unconscious and pulled off the victory several times in his career and DC had better recognize that until he’s out, Frank can win the fight at anytime. Mir should also recognize that DC is one of THE most highly decorated fighters to ever enter the UFC and after competing on the world stage, there will be no “Octagon jitters” and that Cormier is gonna show up to fight.

I loved this match up when it was first announced for SF and I like it just as much now. I give DC the slight edge, since we’ve never seen him in trouble in the cage, but I won’t ever count out Mir until the fight is stopped.

• RicM says:

….Anyone who says, “I’ll sign his cast after the fight.”, which says to me he has no respect for the livlihood of his fellow MMA bretheren, deserves to be spiked on his head repeatedly…….breaking an opponents limb, putting them on the shelf for even longer?? Fuck you, Mir….get cancer…..

• Creature says:

Mir just means he will sign DC’s cast after DC breaks his hand again while punching Mir square on the jaw a couple times and putting him out ;)

• Richard Stabone says:

^ RicM, I get what you’re saying, but it’s just Mir hyping a fight. Not really anything unusual or over the top.

And if you think about it, when guys talk about how they’re going to knock out their opponent, that’s worse (as far as injury goes) than Mir talking about breaking a guy’s arm. Sure, the arm injury is more immediately devastating, but typically heals within 6-8 weeks with little long term effects. But when Brock, Carwin and JDS batter Mir’s head, rattling his brain around his skull, that is a much scarier proposition as far as long-term health goes.

• MickeyC says:

You should not take a.fighters pre fight trash talk to heart.

• Angry Mike says:

Ok, Stabone, I agree. Mir hasn’t had a legitimate win in his entire career, and even though Cormier hasn’t beaten a top-tier UFC heavyweight, he should be handed the belt right now.