Nick Diaz on cusp of being pulled from UFC 158 fight with Georges St-Pierre

UFC 158 PosterUFC welterweight Nick Diaz is at risk of seeing his shot at champion Georges St-Pierre go out the window after failing to meet a handful of media obligations. And no, this piece is not an accidental re-posting of a similar situation where Diaz was dropped from a bout with GSP for skipping out on a pair of press conferences.

According to UFC President Dana White, the company is getting fed up with the difficulty in locating Diaz for promotional responsibilities and ready to remove him from his headlining match-up with St-Pierre on March 16 at UFC 158.

“I’m really close, and I don’t want to be. I don’t want to do (that),” said White to a group of media after the post-event presser for UFC 157. “It sucks.”

White went on to reiterate the company spent $50,000 on a series of interviews to help hype Diaz’s duel with St-Pierre but the fighter was nowhere to be found, explaining, “It’s not funny. We’re very cool and very lenient in a lot of ways….but that’s just absolute bullsh*t.”

White did not go so far as to say what the tipping point would be for the UFC to decide Diaz wasn’t worth the trouble. With the lineup less than three weeks away time is clearly of the essence, making it unlikely Diaz will be scratched so late in the game, though top contender Johny Hendricks is also scheduled for action on the same lineup. However, with Diaz’s behavior, his future in the organization certainly seems to be in jeopardy barring a victory over St-Pierre in Montreal.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Oh, just let the baby have his bong and let’s get this fight over with.
    I ,for one, don’t need to see any hype, although I understand the need for it.

• Lord Faust says:

This better be bullshit posturing… I dropped a fair but of cash to see this event in person.

• AlphaOmega says:

Like I said in the other article, Dana is a lot of things, but I don’t see why they’d do what Diaz’ camp is claiming he’s doing with the Primetime episodes, of making appointments but not telling Diaz about them. It’d stuck for you Faust, but personally I’d laugh and laugh and laugh if Diaz got cut from another title shot for being a douche.

• Lord Faust says:

Every time Nick runs afoul, it’s a “conspiracy”. The guy hasn’t established any kind of pattern of reliability, so I don’t see how he gets the benefit of the doubt here.

If Diaz gets replaced on the card, I’ll live; I’m a much bigger GSP fan than a Diaz supporter.

• AlphaOmega says:

That’s suppose to say suck not stuck for you Faust

• THEGUNNER says:

Drop this fight and lose my ppv buy for sure its bd enough theres already injury with rory.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Let’s hope this fight happens. We all know how it will go. The outcome not in doubt. Diaz loses by UD and cries about retiring again while NSAC finds Diaz smoked some bud in the last 18 months and suspends him again.

I really hope I am dead wrong, but can’t find any reason otherwise.

• MCM says:

Cut him. It’s that simple. Insert Hendricks, who rightfully deserves it and this child.

• moosebaby02 says:

Betcha if the camrea crew brought with them a bunch of juck food/munchies with them then this wouldnt be a problem

• Dr.Stoppage says:

The last time GSP called someone out was …well we all know – I am nod imprezz…blahblahblah…
    I had this idea that maybe GSP maybe needs to be the bully and say things like ” I understand why you are so good at triathlon… because it involves a lot of running away.

But, It ain’t GSP’s job to get Diaz to the hype promos.
    The UFC has a way of doing things that Diaz isn’t used to.
    Especially when it comes to pre-fight hype.
    Hopefully Nate and Gracie will smooth things over.
    This fight will not be cancelled.
    Maybe it’s just the genius Dana on a roll to build the hype if Diaz won’t help out.