Brendan Schaub: “I needed to win, so I used my brain.”

Brendan Schaub v Lavar Johnson - UFC 157Heavyweight Brendan Schaub has made a name for himself in the UFC as a heavy-handed striker. However, his reputation also comes with the unenviable tag of a questionable jaw. Regardless, Schaub still promised a finish in his UFC 157 fight with fellow slugger Lavar Johnson.

When the smoke cleared, Schaub did emerge with his hand raised but not in the fashion many expected. Rather than go toe-to-toe with Johnson, “The Hybrid” went the grappling route instead and repeatedly took Johnson down. The performance was not aesthetically pleasing, but, as Schaub admitted shortly after the fight, he wasn’t as interested in entertaining fans as he was with securing another appearance in the Octagon.

“I had to win tonight. The last two fights I lost, I fought with my guts rather than my brains. But tonight I needed to win, so I used my brain,” admitted Schaub. “I know people were expecting a slugfest, but I’ve been working hard on my BJJ and thought I could sub him. At one point, he was talking to me on the ground saying, ‘Come on, dog, let’s stand and give the fans a show,’ and I said, ‘Sorry, bro, I gotta win this fight.’ And he said, ‘I hear ya.'”

The 9-3 Schaub ended a two-fight skid with his victory over Johnson. The decision win was only the second of his career.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Angry Mike says:

A win via wrestling doesn’t mean Schaub keeps his job. Ask Fitch.

• soundspawn says:

It does until there’s a loss to go with it. That said, I think we agree in that going 1 out of your last while having the 1 be a L&P is not a better position than losing three with your latest at least exciting.

Look at Garcia and Hardy, fan friendly trumps winning these days

• soundspawn says:

*going 1 out of your last 4*

• AlphaOmega says:

I think somethings up with Schaub, he came out of the gate flying after Big Country blasted him, but then after getting stopped again he hasn’t seemed to be able to find his footing consistently

• Planterz says:

Schaub did what he had to do. The fight was boring, and I’m not a big fan of his…less so after this fight…but I can’t fault him for his gameplan.

This fight is one of the cases where I question the criteria for scoring. Effective striking, grappling, aggression, and octagon control. Schaub won by effective grappling and octagon control. But if you look at Scaubs’s and Johnson’s faces, you’d think Lavar won the fight, no question.

That said, Lavar does need improve his ground game. He does that, and he could be a contender. The guy got shot, and still fights, That’s one bad mofo in anyone’s book.

• Niv says:

Well the question here is when is Johnson going to at the very least work on his takedown defense?

On his feet I give him the nod against 90% of the HW’s in the UFC, on the ground I’d bet against him every single time.