As reveled earlier this week, UFC featherweight king Jose Aldo will receive a crack at the lightweight title if he’s able to get by 155-pound contender Anthony Pettis in August. However, the explosive Brazilian won’t be back at 145 pounds anytime soon if he hopes to actually hold the belt.
According to UFC President Dana White, neither Aldo nor Pettis will be allowed to move back and forth between divisions if in possession of a championship. The outspoken executive did not go into detail about how the UFC would handle the featherweight gold if Aldo ends up with both straps, but he did make it clear he’ll only be allowed to defend one.
“One of the matchmakers called and said there was a misunderstanding – that (Aldo) wants to go to 155, win the title, and go back to 145. That’s not happening,” said White on UFC Tonight. “If he moves to 155, he stays at 155 and he holds that belt. If Pettis wins the fight, Pettis is going to have to stay at 145 and defend that belt a couple of times.”
The two are tentatively scheduled to scrap on August 3. Aldo will enter the bout on a fifteen-fight winning streak including wins in the UFC over Kenny Florian, Chad Mendes, Mark Hominick, and most recently Frankie Edgar. Comparably, Pettis is 16-2 with a trio of consecutive victories to his credit featuring knockouts of Joe Lauzon and Donald Cerrone.
PHOTO CREDIT – UFC