Mark Hunt wants Top 10 opponent for next fight

Mark Hunt v Stefan Struve - UFC on Fuel 8The legend of Mark Hunt grew last night when the 38-year old kickboxer took out top contender Stefan Struve with strikes in the third round of their tilt at UFC on Fuel 8. The win was fourth in a row for Hunt, a feat made more remarkable by the fact he scored a spot on the UFC roster when he decided to honor a contract he’d signed for PRIDE rather than be paid without performing.

With another victory, the 9-7 Hunt positioned himself for a run at the title in 2013 and should receive a shot if he can find success on 1-2 more occasions. As such, the New Zealander wants another ranked foe for his next fight in hopes of proving he truly belongs in the mix.

“It was a great fight. My timing was off and I could have put things together better, but I was glad to take the win,” said Hunt to Fuel TV of his win over Struve shortly after the scrap’s conclusion.

“I would like to go for the title-fight,” he continued when asked what his immediate plans were. “I’ll take ‘Bigfoot’ or anyone in the Top 10.”

Antonio Silva, i.e. “Bigfoot”, is currently booked against champion Cain Velasquez at UFC 160 and isn’t a likely candidate. Unfortunately for Hunt, most of the UFC’s other notable heavyweights are also scheduled for action in the coming months. However, with a ton of momentum and the power to knock out any opponent he faces, 2013 may still turn out to be the year of the “Super Samoan” regardless of who he receives for his next rumble.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MickeyC says:

If he wants a test give him the Mir/DC winner.

• MCM says:

Bad call by Herb Dean last night. When a fighter gets knocked down and their first response is to look at their opponent and adjust their body to get guard, that means their not out. I don’t know how many people remember when Herb wasn’t the “best ref in MMA” but last night showed why he used to get more hate than Yves Lavigne. I’m not saying Hunt wouldn’t have gotten the KO/TKO anyway, but that’s why you let it play out.

As for taking on another top 10, how bout Dana works something out with Barnette and we see if Hunt can get some revenge. Otherwise he’s gonna have to sit out and wait for someone to free themselves up.

• Niv says:

Well turns out it was the right call. Stephan Struve apparently tweeted last night his jaw was broken by that left hook. When Herb Dean looked at him Struve apparently was asking him to remove his tooth, I doubt any ref is going to look at the guy and say “Well let me watch you eat another bomb and see how many more teeth come out” before they stop the fight.

• MCM says:

I just saw the fights this afternoon. I didn’t see the tweet just what what shown during the fight. From my perspective, it was a poor stoppage, from Struve’s POV it was apparently justified. I guess I’ll defer to the guy in the cage.

• darth_irritable says:

The photo of Struve’s jaw is brutal. Looks like a clean break top to bottom across the whole jaw at the front. No way that fight should have continued, even if Dean did stop it early.

• darth_irritable says:

Also, am I the only one that finds it insane that Hunt has the longest winning streak at heavyweight right now, including our champion?

• moosebaby02 says:

Im so pissed I missed that fight

• JabCrossHook says:

Doesn’t Daniel Cormier have the longest winning streak? Or are we only counting UFC win streaks? If so then Hunt takes it. I’m not surprised because at HW the fights are really unpredictable, I’m just surprised its Mark Hunt who has the longest win streak after seeing McCorkle just tool him with that sub.

• darth_irritable says:

Ah, Jab, you’re right. I forgot about DC.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Barnett v. Hunt would be interesting. Would have to pick Barnett since his ground game is light years ahead of Hunt.

Not sure what the hang up is with Barnett. Maybe they should offer him a one fight contract at a decent wage, let him fight and if he decides he wants to go to Japan and do pro wrestling thing then UFC wouldn’t have to worry about it.

If everyone is happy with the arrangement then maybe it could be revisited and if there is hard feelings still then it can be a one shot thing and everyone can go their separate ways.

• AlphaOmega says:

Barnett said the hang up is that he wants the same thing Eddie Alvarez is offered, and the UFC doesn’t want to give that. Its speculative, but it’d probably either be a fast track to a title, or a cut of PPV buys