Forrest Griffin won’t be back in action until end of year

Forrest Griffin - UFC 148 WorkoutsUFC light heavyweight Forrest Griffin is one of the organization’s most popular fighters. He’s also one of the least active. Griffin hasn’t seen action more than twice a year since 2006, missed 2010 completely, and appears to only be on deck for a single scrap in 2013 similarly to his schedule in 2012.

Griffin is currently sidelined while recovering from knee surgery he was forced to get after straining multiple ligaments late last year, eliminating him from a December match-up with Phil Davis. However, according to Griffin, he’s already seeing the light and the end of the tunnel and should be back in action this fall.

“Doctor said my knee is doing great and I’ll be able to go in 6-7 months,” wrote Griffin recently on Twitter, joking, “We must have different definitions of the word great.”

The 33-year old is 19-7 in his career and won three of four fights since falling to Anderson Silva in 2009. He was last seen outpointing Tito Ortiz in July of last year.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• hindsightufuk says:

poor guy has really fallen over the last couple years, used to be great to watch him scrap, now he seems so sloppy in all areas, regressing in technique. kinda dont want to see him fight again in all honesty

• MCM says:

I hear you hindsight. But I love the guy so I’ll always watch him fight, just on the hope that he goes back to his former self. I hope they reschedule the Davis match up.

• redwire says:

Bonnar/Griffin III – double retirement match. Send’em both to the front office to finish out their career.

• hindsightufuk says:

and let them take what ever stimulants/depressants they need to get them through it

• AlphaOmega says:

I’d love a Bonnar/Griffin 3 after they coach TUF, it’d be a great close out to an era, and would be hilarious to boot

• THEGUNNER says:

I can imagine the pranks if they did tuf. Other than bonnar I dont see any one else id like to see him fight.

• MCM says:

I gotta be honest, after watching this season of TUF I don’t want it to go back to being a bunch of idiots playing pranks. I like that they are focused on the business of being a fighter. The training, the sacrifice, what each of these guys have gone through to get to where their at. As much as I enjoy watching Bonnar and Griffin, I’d hate for the show to regress to what it was the last couple of seasons.

If they continue to do TUF (questionable now that they are doing a by-weekly program on Wed. starting in Aug) I hope they continue with fighters that are real coaches and focus less on house drama and more on the natural drama of being an MMA fighter.

Griffin/Hendo, Griffin/Lil Nog, Griffin/Davis, Griffin/Rashad II are all fights I’d like to see before he retires.