UFC 158 Results: Georges St-Pierre grinds out decision win over Nick Diaz

UFC 158 PosterSix of the world’s top welterweights took to the Octagon tonight at UFC 158 with the deserving duo of Georges St-Pierre/Nick Diaz at the top. In addition to being the eighth defense of champion St-Pierre’s current title-reign, the rumble also pitted two rivals against each other in a bout becoming increasingly personal over the past few weeks. Widely considered to be the second best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, GSP entered the bout with an overall record of 23-2 with recent wins against the likes of Josh Koscheck, Jake Shields, and Carlos Condit. Comparably, Diaz was 26-8 and has finished 21 of the foes he’s faced.

When the smoke cleared, St-Pierre’s title-reign remained intact due to a blend of effective striking and relentless takedowns/ground control. Diaz landed little offense throughout the tilt minus an exchange in the third where he got the better of “Rush”. St-Pierre went on to pick up a decision win in standard fashion. After the clash’s conclusion the 29-year old Diaz once again teased the idea of retirement, stating he didn’t like the way things unfolded and wasn’t interested in continuing to get “banged up”.

Also on tap for the show, Johny Hendricks put his claim to top contendership on the line against Condit, while Nate Marquardt returned to the UFC after a stint in Strikeforce and faced Jake Ellenberger in what proved to be an extremely stiff test for the former middleweight. Marquardt suffered a knockout loss to Ellenberger, eating two stiff shots in the late stages of the opening round before “The Juggernaut” rushed in and put a stamp on things with a few more strikes. Meanwhile, Hendricks maintained his status as the #1 challenger to the title with a solid decision win over Condit delivered in large part due to the bearded brawler’s ability to take his foe down on numerous occasions.

A full list of winners/losers can be found below:

George Roop def. Reuben Duran via Unanimous Decision
T.J. Dillashaw def. Issei Tamura via Knockout Round 2 (Strikes)
Rick Story def. Quinn Mulhern via TKO Round 1 (Strikes)
John Makdessi def. Daron Cruickshank via Unanimous Decision
Jordan Mein def. Dan Miller via TKO Round 1 (Strikes)
Darren Elkins def. Antonio Carvalho via TKO Round 1 (Strikes)
Patrick Cote def. Bobby Voelker via Unanimous Decision
Mike Ricci def. Colin Fletcher via Unanimous Decision
Chris Camozzi def. Nick Ring via Split Decision
Jake Ellenberger def. Nate Marquardt via Knockout Round 1 (Strikes)
Johny Hendricks def. Carlos Condit via Unanimous Decision
Georges St-Pierre def. Nick Diaz via Unanimous Decision

• THEGUNNER says:

Jake, jhonny, and nick all finishes I predict gso gets tapped out.

• elsicilian says:

Never done this before, but it seems like fun. Here are my picks for the fights (plus some commentary on the main card fights for no additional charge).

Duran
    Dillashaw
    Mulhern
    Cruickshank
    Mein
    Elkins
    Cote
    ———
    Ricci – (Oh Canada!)
    Ring – (more red meat for the canuck crowd)
    Marquardt – (embarrassed by last fight, rejuvenated by return to UFC)
    Condit – (Hendricks alternates great performances with mediocre ones. Last one was great.)
    GSP – (Five rounds. Unanimous decision. Easiest call in sports)

Jordan Mein vs. Dan Miller:
    As I stated in an earlier thread, I like Dan Miller, but Miller has never really been able to put it together against top quality competition. He came to the UFC and quickly went through three mid tier foes before facing his first stiff challenge in Sonnen and hasn’t been able to put together a decent run since. We know he’s gone through hell in his personal life and that might add some much needed fire but it may not be enough to handle Jordan Mein.
    Mein has more experience, is more well rounded, holds a distinctive edge in striking and shouldn’t succumb to the oft overlooked “Octagon jitters” having fought in SF and headlined smaller cards. Plus he’ll be fighting in his home country and that’s always a boost for fighters.
    Miller is a tough as they come, but I’m leaning toward Mein by 1st or 2nd round TKO.

Patrick Cote vs. Bobby Voelker:
    This fight should be Cotes last shot at maintaining a UFC contract. At times Cote has looked like an absolute destroyer with his hands, but more often than not, he simply looks average at best. He looked great at the weigh-ins yesterday (for whatever that’s worth) and he should have been fighting at WW his entire career, but I don’t think it’s enough to make a difference in this fight.
    Bobby Voelker does one thing especially well….punch people. In 24 wins he’s had 15 KO/TKO and 4 submissions, and all 4 subs were to punches. He hits people hard and often and it works.
    If Cote had any sort of ground game I’d give him more of a chance, but he doesn’t and his solid chin is only gonna work against him in this one. I think this is a great rock’m sock’m fight where Patrick gets abused for three straight rounds. Voelker by UD.

Jake Ellenberger vs. Nate Marquardt:
    This is as close to a pick em fight as your ever gonna see. Both men hit hard as can be. Both men have good takedowns and takedown defense. Ellenberger has the edge in wrestling but Marquardt has the edge in submissions. People question Jake’s shallow gas tank, but it’s not like Nate has looked like the energizer bunny since dropping to WW either. I think this one comes down to simply who can land first (not very insightful I know).
    I flipped a coin and Nate wins by Split Dec.

Carlos Condit vs. Johny Hendricks:
    On paper, Condit wins this one with little trouble. He’s more well rounded, the more diverse striker and has insane scrambling abilities along with a highly dangerous submission game. Hendricks is a straight line puncher with a less than stellar takedown game. The problem is…..it works.
    Just like Dan Henderson, you know what Hendricks is gonna do, it’s up to you stop him. Condit has the tools to do it, but I thought the same thing about Fitch and Kammpan too.
    Third times a charm, Condit by TKO in the 3rd.

Georges St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz:
    Read one of the other 1000 articles about this match.
    GSP UD all day long.

• AlphaOmega says:

Predictions:

Dan Miller
    Antonio Carvalho
    Patrick Cote
    Mike Ricci
    Nick Ring
    Jake Ellenberger
    Carlos Condit
    Georges St-Pierre

• Dufresne says:

Duran looked really good in that first round, but I’m not sure why he didn’t jump on Roop when he had him rocked.
    Overall I’ve got to agree with the judges though, Roop won the last two rounds.

• Dufresne says:

I know Dillashaw could kick my ass, but I can’t help but laugh when he tries to seem intimidating by screaming like that. I could fit him in my pocket.

• MCM says:

I’m no bigger than most of those guys at Team Alpha male and even I call them Team Lilliput.

• Dufresne says:

Holy shit! Very nice Dillashaw, very nice.

• MCM says:

Nice KO, but what’s with the blatant late shot by Dillashaw?

• MCM says:

I feel bad for Rick Story. He’s the only fighter to ever beat #1 contender Johny Hendricks and he worked his way into title contention only to lose his first main event when Marquardt backed out at the last minute. Now both Nate and Hendricks are in the #3 and #2 spot on the best WW card in years and Story is stuck on the prelims.

• Dufresne says:

Love those body shots Story is throwing. He’s really digging in that left hook.

• Dufresne says:

Not sure if Quinn got poked in the eye or if that punch just landed flush. It kinda looked like he just gave up. Good fight by Story though.

• Dufresne says:

That was a pretty “friend fanly” fight in my opinion.

• Dufresne says:

I’ve gotta say, the UFC makes some damn good promos.

• Dufresne says:

Great fight so far. Hell of a 2nd round.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

As much as I would like to think otherwise I see a Condit v. GSP rematch in the future. Expect both men to win and then Hendricks v. Marquart with Ellenberger getting a #1contender match vs Condit. Doubt Diaz gets another title shot without at least 3 consecutive wins.

Predictions:
    Ellenberger via UD
    Condit via TKO
    GSP via UD

Damn! Called it.

• Dufresne says:

Wow, that was a beating by Mein. He looked like he was in trouble with that armbar, but he stayed really composed and came back pissed.

• MCM says:

Oh my God! A bad stoppage by Yves Lavigne! Never saw that coming.

• Dufresne says:

WTF Yves?!? Stop hanging out with Mazzagatti!!

• Dufresne says:

Classy move by Elkins not throwing the ref under bus even though Yves deserved it.

• Dufresne says:

Early candidate for Fight of the Night.

• Dufresne says:

Unfortunately, I think Quebec’s second son will be on the losing end of this decision.

BULL FUCKING SHIT!!!!

• Dufresne says:

Don’t listen to me, I’m often wrong.

• MCM says:

Cote lost the the striking match, the grappling match, and the octagon control match. The only match he had over Voelker was the Canadian match. Fucking idiot judges ruining my predictions.

• Dufresne says:

Fletcher’s tattoo looks like a spider is trying to rape his bellybutton. Also, I’m drinking.

Nut shot!

• MCM says:

thumbs up on drinking Duf.

• Dufresne says:

Just one of the reasons I like you MCM.

• Dufresne says:

Ricci is good, but he honestly hasn’t impressed me yet. He just seems like an arrogant asswipe.

That made Dana smile.

• Dufresne says:

Marquardt may have protested, but that last right by Ellenberger looked like it erased Marquardt’s ability to count. That was nasty power.

• Richard Stabone says:

Ellenberger is a monster.

• MCM says:

Agreed. After the Woodley fight, I thought this would go to the distance, but that was a clean KO for the Juggernaut.

• Dufresne says:

Dana White will absolutely shit his liver if Diaz wins tonight.

• Dufresne says:

I love Condit, but I’m also a huge fan of the Beard of Power. Unless this fight is a hugfest, I win.

• raker says:

Ellenberger….. WOW!!! I expected Marquardt to be an absolute monster at WW but right now he looks like his best days are behind him.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

BRUCE BUFFER BOMBS BIGTIME!
    LES FOE PAUX EXTRORDINAIRRE!!!

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Beard of Power = AWESOME!

• Dufresne says:

That first round was as close to a coin flip as I’ve seen in a while.

• Dufresne says:

Honestly didn’t think this would be as close as it is. So far I’ve got it 2-0 Hendricks.

• Dufresne says:

If this was a 5 round fight I think Condit would have had it no problem. But with just 3 rounds I’m leaning towards Hendricks 2-1, but I can see it the other way as well.

• MCM says:

I would have been happy either way with the decision. Both guys deserve it. Great fucking fight!

• Dr.Stoppage says:

GAAAAAAAWD
    I’M READY!!!!!

• Dufresne says:

Good fight, but Diaz has lost this one. And not quite by “a beating like we’ve never seen” like GSP promised.

• Dufresne says:

Props to Diaz for doing such a solid job. Hopefully he doesn’t actually retire like he seems like he’s leaning towards. He’s one of the best in the world.

• MCM says:

I really hope we see Ellenberger/Hendricks for the vacant WW title and GSP goes up to take on Anderson in his next fight. I think he’s just cleaned out the division.

• MCM says:

Well, I was 3-2 tonight. I’m still saying Cote lost.

• Dufresne says:

I guess it’s GSP v Hendricks next. And then GSP moving to MW if (when) he wins. The problem is that I don’t see GSP being big enough to overcome A. Silva. He’s physically talented like almost no one else in MMA. Unfortunately he’s going to have to deal with the most talented MMA fighter in history if he wants to expand past the WW scene. I don’t really want a Silva v GSP fight, but if GSP and Silva win their next fights, I don’t see another option.