Miesha Tate: “I don’t for one second feel like it should have been stopped.

Miesha-Tate-Cat-Zingano-MMAWEEKLYThere’s no doubt UFC bantamweight Miesha Tate was in serious trouble last night at the Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale after absorbing a number of Cat Zingano’s knees. However, an argument could be made for the bout being stopped a few ticks too early, as Tate certainly wasn’t knocked out and seemed to be going for a halfhearted takedown when referee Kim Winslow intervened.

A battle-worn Tate addressed things at the post-event press conference where her anger about the situation was evident.

“I’m pissed to say the least. I’m definitely not happy,” stated Tate. “I still feel like I was in the fight. I don’t for one second feel like it should have been stopped. I’m a fighter and I wanted to keep fighting.”

“I don’t know what you want,” Tate continued, referring to Winslow’s decision to stop action. “I sat up. I shot a double. I got to my feet. I took some damage because of that, because I was trying to listen to the referee, and she f*cking stopped the fight. What do you want, yanno?”

The 13-4 Tate’s loss to Zingano marked the first time she’d succumbed to strikes since a 2007 defeat to Kaitlin Young.

Tate’s full comments in addition to a few from Zingano can be seen below:

PHOTO CREDIT – MMAWEEKLY

• Screenplaya says:

I am 100% with Miesha. Winslow stepped in too soon. I think Miesha was on the edge of being finished, but fights should be stopped when the doubt is gone. Winslow has been very good thus far, but this was a bad stop. Please investigate UFC. We need to make sure all refs are held accountable and educated.

• MCM says:

gotta disagree with you Screenplaya. Miesha took 4 big knees and 2 big elbows then crumpled to the ground. Was she actually dropping for a double? Possibly. But from the refs perspective, and mine, it looked like Miesha went out for a second. I’d rather see refs air on the side of caution than wind up with a bunch of Yves Lavignes (Matt Brown / Pete Sell).

• darth_irritable says:

You had me up until “Winslow has been very good so far”.

Winslow’s responsible for more near-death experiences than Keifer Sutherland.

• raker says:

How many knees to the head does it takes to stop a fight? Good call by the ref. No
    Deaths in the UFC yet.. Lets keep it that way.

• hindsightufuk says:

i wouldn’t call it a bad stoppage, it was justified, but it could have gone on and i think its possible Tate would have ridden out the round to a decision win. I think maybe if it were certain male fighters it wouldnt have been stopped.
    i see Tate’s point but it wasnt unjust or anywhere near as bad we have seen over the years.
    i would have liked to see it continue.

huge props to both girls for the fight though, it was fun to watch. huge props for the weigh in also, that was even more fun to watch, really nice clothing

• AlphaOmega says:

Props hindsight, I was surprised it took so long to get to a comment about the weigh ins.