Daniel Cormier: “I don’t think that performance warranted a title-shot.”

UFC on FOX 7 PosterEntering UFC on FOX 7 there was some debate on what heavyweight Daniel Cormier would do if victorious against Frank Mir. On one hand, Cormier’s unbeaten record and success against ranked opposition make him worthy of a crack at the championship; on the other, close friend and training partner Cain Velasquez currently holds the belt. Adding to the confusion, Cormier has also expressed interest in dropping down to 205 pounds to face similarly sized foes.

While Cormier did go on to beat Mir, outpointing the former title-holder, “DC” still isn’t sure what his next move will be. However, he’s certain it shouldn’t involve a go at gold based on his lackluster but effective approach to outpointing Mir.

“Even if they say you’re going to fight Cain Velasquez next, I don’t think that performance warranted a title-shot,” admitted Cormier to reporters at the post-fight press conference. “We’ll get together and figure it out. If they say, ‘Well Daniel, if your intention is to be a 205-pounder down the line and we need you to do it now,’ then I guess that’s what I need to do.”

MMAWeekly was on hand and able to capture Cormier’s remarks.

When asked to put a finger on his inability to pull the trigger against Mir, the 12-0 Cormier pointed to the experience of making a UFC debut on FOX unexpectedly sapped him of his energy.

“I’ve always laughed when Dana White said there’s jitters that come with this. But man, I was nervous today,” explained Cormier. “You want to do so well, and I didn’t fight the fight I wanted to. More than anything I got tired. I’ve never felt tired in a fight. I think it was my nerves. I went in there and fought as well as I could.”

Velasquez faces Antonio Silva in a little over a month. Though he’s a heavy favorite, if Velasquez stumbles it seems likely Cormier may reconsider his future prospects. Until then, fans will just have to wait with the comfort of knowing Cormier will be out to impress in his next outing regardless of who he faces.

PHOTO CREDIT – MMAWEEKLY/UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

I got a kick out of the exchanges Mir and Cormier had with Herb Dean when he was wiping them down

• THEGUNNER says:

I still never seen a wipe down and still dont understand it. Mirs body kicks to dc looked powerfull I hope he uses them more in the future.

• Richard Stabone says:

It was a bit of a lackluster performance but DC still managed to completely control a guy who (though I think has always been overrated) is a well regarded opponent. So while it wasn’t his best performance, he’s got nothing to apologize for.

As far as the weight class stuff, if LHW is gonna happen then it’s time to get on with it. Cormier got a late start with MMA, so he doesn’t have time to dick around. But I’ll remain skeptical of that move until he actually does it. His kidneys have already failed once, leading to a nearly tragic situation – “It was very scary. I was in the hospital. I was getting IV bags, not really eating food. I couldn’t recover from the weight cut.”

How many years has it been since Daniel Cormier weighed 205 lbs under healthy conditions? Given the success he’s enjoying in the HW division, I am surprised this topic keeps coming up. Yeah I know his training partner & buddy is the current HW champ, but as good as Cain is the HW belt tends to change hands on a pretty regular basis. So I think DC has a better chance of waiting for a HW title shot to come around (against someone other than Cain) than he does going thru the rigors of shedding another 13% of his current body mass to get to 205, and then dealing with JBJ who also has a strong wrestling background, is much younger & rangier, with a 12-inch…..reach advantage.

• MCM says:

Two very important things Daniel says in this interview.

1: “Even if they say you’re going to fight Cain Velasquez next, I don’t think that performance warranted a title-shot,”….

This indicates that he may NOT be opposed to fighting Cain. I understand the whole teammates don’t fight teammates attitude we saw at AKA between Kos and Fitch, but it sounds like DC is knocking his performance and not the fact that he may fight his training partner. IF DC is willing to fight Cain,that changes the entire conversation of him moving to LHW.

2: “If they say, ‘Well Daniel, if your intention is to be a 205-pounder down the line and we need you to do it now,’ then I guess that’s what I need to do.”

This indicates that he IS intending to move to 205. Yes, Richard, he is doing very well at HW and he could stay there if he wanted, but he’s basically the HW version of Frankie Edgar. He’s capable of great success in the heavier division but he’ll be asked his entire career when he’s moving down.

So that’s two conflicting statements made. One that he is willing to fight for the HW title and two that he is intending to move down at some point. Personally, I don’t care what division he’s in. I didn’t find last nights fight as boring as most seemed to and I think DC has a bright future in either division.

• Richard Stabone says:

For Frankie, it was a stretch to stay up at 155…

“When I was at 155, I was forcing myself to eat more and lift a little heavy to try to put on size. Now it’s more natural. I feel like my conditioning’s better. I’m actually a little quicker. It’s just a little less stressful. I don’t have to worry about eating like every 2 hours.”

For Cormier, he’s shed a significant amount of weight over the past several months, and yet still finds himself 30 lbs above the LHW limit. He’s another guy that would be a perfect fit if they ever add a cruiserweight division, but for the time being I think LHW is just asking too much given his history with cutting weight…

“I had been cutting weight for a really long time. I think I started when I was 13, but I was doing it the wrong way. I put (a plastic sweatsuit) on a week before I weighed in, and I would just start sucking out that water. … Your body can only take so much. I was beating it down every time. It was very scary.”

Apparently he thinks he could make a similar cut now that he’s older & wiser, going about it in a healthier manner, but I am definitely skeptical. His body/kidneys took a helluva toll for a long time while he competed in wrestling. I can’t pretend to understand how all this physiological stuff works, and maybe the human body is resilient and is able to repair itself from stuff like that with no residual effects, but if I was DC I wouldn’t want to go down that path again.

So anyway, I agree there’s similarity between Frankie & DC in how people will continue to ask about dropping down a weight class, but the actual circumstances behind it really aren’t that similar. I think staying at HW is better for DC from a personal standpoint, as well as from a UFC divisional standpoint. The UFC still has Gustafsson and Glover and possibly Mousasi as intriguing challengers at LHW, but with HW the well is almost always dry.

• MCM says:

DC would definitely have to lose weight BEFORE making the cut to 205. Sure some fighters like Forrest can cut form 235 to 205 during a training camp, but DC isn’t Forrest. Thankfully, Cormier still has about 20lbs of bacon on his midsection that he can lose before trying to cut weight. Cormier actually weighed more when he was cutting to 211 for the Olympics than he does now. (which was part of his problem) A fit and trim 220 lb DC shouldn’t have any problems getting to 205.

And +1 on the Cruiser weight division.