Daniel Cormier in line for immediate title-shot at 205 pounds if so desired

Jon-Jones - MMAWEEKLYThis weekend, UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones will put his gold up for grabs against massive underdog Chael Sonnen – a contender who earned his crack at the belt through bravado rather than success in the Octagon. Assuming Jones exits the effort with his title-reign intact, the UFC has a few options to serve up as his next challenger including Lyoto Machida and Alexander Gustafsson. However, it looks like he could end up fighting another opponent who, like Sonnen, hasn’t done anything of note at 205 pounds.

According to UFC President Dana White, undersized heavyweight Daniel Cormier will receive serious consideration for the slot if he decides to move down as has been teased in the past.

“He could drop to 205 and get a shot at the title, in my opinion, on day one. Look at the guys he’s beat at heavyweight,” said White to a group of media this week in New York City, providing some insight on his rationale as well. “I actually prefer him at 205. This heavyweight division isn’t like other heavyweight divisions. And in saying that, he beat Josh Barnett. That’s a big deal. I just don’t think he has the punching power at heavyweight that he’d have at 205.”

MMAFighting was on the scene and able to capture the comments.

At 5’11, Cormier is one of the smallest heavyweights on the UFC roster and will still give up size to Jones if the two ever lock horns. The 34-year old grappler has exited all twelve of his tilts with his hand raised including success against Antonio Silva and most recently Frank Mir.

PHOTO CREDIT – MMAWEEKLY

• Screenplaya says:

I am fine with Dana’s logic. If you can beat the HWs that Cormier has, I have no issue with him getting a LHW title shot right out of the gate.

BUT, how can you give a title shot to a guy who has never made that weight in MMA and wrestled 5-6 pounds above that weight when we was a younger man?

Therefore, he has to have a fight at 205 before a title shot. You can’t have him coming in overweight for a title fight.

• AlphaOmega says:

Same reason Dana can give a title shot to Pettis, Frankie, and Chael, all who haven’t fought at the weight classes they got the title shot in. I could be wrong about Pettis but I don’t think he fought at 145

• trupert says:

I agree with Screenplaya, On the FS1 show that DW is saying he will ‘sacrifice a pay-per-view fight for’ in August, I’d prefer Jones vs Machida and Cormier testing the waters with Gustaf. Machida has been patient and I think Gustaf needs another fight before fighting for the title and this also gives Cormier a chance to make weight and if he fails, it doesn’t botch the headliner, just the co-main.

• MCM says:

I get what your saying trupert, but I’d switch Machida and Gustafsson. Gustafsson is far and away the only deserving title contender at LHW, where as Machida still needs one of two more wins before he’s allowed to get put to sleep again.

If Cormier does get the title shot, it should be contingent upon him being able to make a test cut to 205 before they book the catch.

• Dachman says:

Cormier would be a beast at 205! Jones reach would be an issue but his power and wrestling is top notch. I think he would push Jones and from Jones comments in the past it doesn’t sound like he wants the fight!

• Richard Stabone says:

I’d honestly pick JBJ to beat DC at their current weights. If DC wants to bust his ass to trim down & lose anyway, so be it. Stop talking about it and do it.

• Oh no, not again.

• climbarock says:

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. This is the dude that almost fucking died trying to make 211. Immediate title shot? Dana’s gotta STFU.