UFC 159 Results: Jon Jones pounds Chael Sonnen out in first frame

UFC 159 BannerFew fans gave Chael Sonnen a shot at beating UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva when the two faced off a few years ago and the smack-spewing scrapper nearly shocked the world before a mental lapse in the last round cost him the clash. Sonnen attempted to do the same this evening minus the mistake against 205-pound king Jon Jones, pulling off perhaps the biggest upset the Octagon has ever seen but couldn’t quite rise to the task.

The 18-1 Jones defended his belt successfully for the fifth time in the tilt, tying him with Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz in terms of consecutive wins as title-holder. Jones’ triumph came in the opening round after putting Sonnen on the mat repeatedly and ultimately landing enough strikes to seal the deal. The finishing sequence came after “Bones” landed a knee to Sonnen’s body against the cage a la Anderson Silva and pounded him out shortly thereafter. Unfortunately, Jones also broke his big toe in the bout and will miss an extended period of time as a result.

Sonnen teased retirement after the defeat, questioning whether or not the sport had anything left for him.

Also worth mentioning, Michael Bisping battled rival Alan Belcher for divisional bragging rights, plus other stars like Roy Nelson, Phil Davis, and Jim Miller saw action on the main card with each drawing a more than apt adversary.

Read below for a rundown of UFC 159 outcomes:

Steven Siler def. Kurt Holobaugh via Unanimous Decision
Cody McKenzie def. Leonard Garcia via Unanimous Decision
Bryan Caraway def. Johnny Bedford via Submission Round 3 (Guillotine Choke)
Sara McMann def. Sheila Gaff via TKO Round 1 (Strikes)
Ovince St. Preux def. Gian Villante via Majority Technical Decision (Accidental Eyepoke)
Yancy Medeiros def. Rustam Khabilov via TKO Round 1 (Injury – Dislocated Thumb)
Pat Healy def. Jim Miller via Technical Submission Round 3 (Rear-Naked Choke)
Phil Davis def. Vinny Magalhaes via Unanimous Decision
Roy Nelson def. Cheick Kongo via Knockout Round 1 (Strikes)
Michael Bisping def. Alan Belcher via Technical Decision
Jon Jones def. Chael Sonnen via TKO Round 1 (Strikes)

• MCM says:

I’m gonna miss the fights tonight (last minute schedule change damn it) so here’s my picks for the main card. I’m also going to pick whom I WANT to win not who I THINK is gonna win. I’ve got no money on these fights so it’s all emotional.

Prelims:
    Don’t care
    Not happening
    Cody Mckenzie – by virtue of me not liking Garcia for all his crappy decisions.
    Don’t care
    Sarah Mcmann
    O.S.P.
    Bedford – cause I miss Jon Fitch so I’ll go for MiniFitch

Main Card:
    Pat Healy – He deserves it for the way Gilbert bitched out on him (twice) but I’ll hate seeing Miller lose
    Phil Davis
    Big Country – IFL Never Dies!!!
    Belcher – cause fuck you Bisping is why
    Chael motherfuck’n Sonnen – Cause Sonnen is an intelligent, well spoken, gentleman of the sport and Jones is a simple minded man-boy whose intellectually and culturally challenged by the likes of Paris Hilton.

• THEGUNNER says:

not payin for tgis one but Im oullin for jj to be the next one to shut sonnen up. Im tired of the im the bad guy thing. Hes no scarface.

• AlphaOmega says:

Johnny Bedford
    Pat Healy
    Phil Davis
    Roy Nelson
    Alan Belcher
    Jon Jones

My mouse kept highlighting Nelson instead of Kongo, I think it wants Big Country to lose.

• AlphaOmega says:

OH I’m also picking Mcmann

What a slam by Siler.

• Dufresne says:

Dominant round by Siler. Holobaugh is bleeding like a pig.

• Dufresne says:

What a fight. This is awesome.

• Dufresne says:

Second round goes to Holobaugh.

• Dufresne says:

Siler should have this one 29-28. Hell of a fight though.

• Dufresne says:

Cody McKenzie looks like that weird kid from kindergarten that sat in the corner eating paste and mumbling to himself.

• Dufresne says:

I have to say, I’m very impressed by Cody’s improved ground game. I thought he was going to get trucked in the first round, but he clearly won it instead.

• Dufresne says:

That went almost exactly like everyone predicted it would. Hopefully McMann can keep living up to the hype and give Rousey a good fight.

• Dufresne says:

This ref is a moron. What is he doing?

• Dufresne says:

That ref needs to read the damn manual. I’m not a professional and I know they have 5 minutes to recover. Fuck that guy.

• Dufresne says:

Horse. Shit. That should have been a no contest simply because the ref had no idea what he was doing.

• THEGUNNER says:

Way to show other refs what not to do and ruin your career @ the same time.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Is is possible for Sara McMann to make an angry face?
    I think not.

• Dufresne says:

Seriously?? At least this time it was a doctor’s decision. But damn. That sucks.

• Dufresne says:

After the close up, I can agree with the doc. That has to hurt like a bitch.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Miller, Davis, Nelson, Belcher,Jones whick weirdly enough is the legal firm I deal with.

• Dufresne says:

I do love the new intro to UFC PPV’s. Just remembering when all of those highlights happened is awesome.

• Dufresne says:

Miller is looking impressive so far.

• Dufresne says:

Good first round. I gave it to Miller, but Healy almost stole it. If he had kept control there towards the end it would have been a coin flip.

• Dufresne says:

I’m thinking Rogan watched something about the “Japanese Necktie” before this card. I’ve never even heard of the submission before and he’s mentioned it twice on this card.

That said I’ve got it scored 1-1 at this point.

• Dufresne says:

Wow. Healy made a statement. No shame for Miller though, that was just a nasty, drop down, drag out brawl. Could be FotN.

• Dufresne says:

LMAO! I’ve never heard Bruce screw up like that before.

• JabCrossHook says:

LOL @ buffer’s fail

JIM MILLER!!! Ohh ……uhh excuse me, PAT HEALY!

• Dr.Stoppage says:

BUFFER!

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Great fight Healy vs. Miller!

• Dufresne says:

Unless Vinny has significantly improved his striking, I don’t see him winning this. I’m thinking Phil is going to control where this fight goes and either with via TKO or UD.

• Creature says:

LOL @ Buffer, but hey in his defense Pat Healy and Jim Miller do look alike

• Dufresne says:

Round 1 to Davis. But I’m surprised that Vinny got a takedown.

• Dufresne says:

Round 2 was a lot closer, but I still gave it to Davis based on activity.

• THEGUNNER says:

Some details of the main event will be much appreciated for us not watching.

• Dufresne says:

Davis should win this 30-27, although I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the judges have it 29-28 Davis.

• Dufresne says:

Absoultely called it, lol. You can always count on one judge being an idiot.

• Dufresne says:

Nelson v Kongo. The battle of the builds.

I don’t see Kongo knocking out Nelson, so I see this ending in a submission or KO victory for Nelson, and a chance for a decision victory for either. But Nelson is the only one I see stopping this fight early.

• Dufresne says:

This stupid ref is the same one that screwed up an entire fight earlier. He’s already yelling at them to do something 10 seconds into a clinch. Fucking fire this retard.

• Dufresne says:

Okay, he broke them up. Set him on fire.

• Dufresne says:

HOLY SHIT!!! Nelson dropped the bomb!!!

• Dr.Stoppage says:

SAY WHAT?
    holy Crap!
    Big Country!

• Dufresne says:

When you’re build like Nelson “put your body into it” means something completely different than most fighters. Kongo is going to be lucky if he can remember how to count after that shot to the temple.

• Dufresne says:

And this moron ref is involved again? Great.

• Dufresne says:

Yay! It’s Herb actually in charge of the fight. Thank god it’s not that skinny, idiotic shithole again.

• Dufresne says:

As much as I love Belcher, I see this as 2-0 for Bisping at this point. Again, because judges are retarded I’ll say it’s scored as 20-18 x2 and 19-19 at this point.

• Dufresne says:

Why don’t MMA gloves have the first 4 fingers welded together? It would alow people to still grapple, but prevent the majority of these problems. Hope Belcher’s eye isn’t too badly damaged.

• Dufresne says:

There is one judge in this group that is retarded. I called it on two fights in a row, which is ridiculous.

• Dufresne says:

I swear Rogan is high as a kite in most of these interviews. God bless him.

• darth_irritable says:

Wish I was watching this :(.

Jones will likely win, but I want Sonnen to win, for exactly the reasons MCM laid out.

Let’s go Sonnen!

• Dufresne says:

Wow. That might have been a bit early.

• Dufresne says:

I don’t think Chael was getting out there, but he probably could have blocked the remainder of the round and made it to a second round. I don’t think he would have made it out of the 2nd round, but he should have made it through the 1st there.

• Dufresne says:

Holy shit, he’s got goblin feet! Damn JBJ, not sure how you don’t know that happened, that looks fucking awful. I’ve done that in the past and I absolutely remember the exact moment it happened and every second after that.

• Dufresne says:

Why couldn’t you watch this Darth?

• Dufresne says:

I will give Chael props for not bitching about the stoppage in this fight and in his last fight with Silva. He talks a ton of shit before fights, but he never complains about how things turn out. He could absolutely have made a scene about the knee from Silva or about the early stoppage tonight, but he takes it like a man and just walks out. Love him or hate him, at least he acts like a man in defeat.

• darth_irritable says:

My son’s been in hospital all week. I’m covering nights.

Also, re:Jones fight. Balls.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Crazy to think Sonnen would be champ if the first round had ended.

• darth_irritable says:

Hey? Brendhan – can you elaborate on that comment?

• THEGUNNER says:

Yeah did sonnen have a chance?

• Creature says:

@darth, Jones could barely walk with his broken toe, Doctor would have stopped it or at the very least no way Jones would be able to do much and Chael would have taken it easily.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Hooray for the Good Guys…I agree the stoppage may have been a tinge too soon…but Jones was in a position to continue the damage on Sonnen until the end of the round.
    Very happy to see Jones TCB!
    The question is, WHO will Sonnen challenge next?
    Or, who will challenge Sonnen.
    Very perplexing, indeed.

• darth_irritable says:

Thanks Creature.

That suuuuucks. I would LOVE for Jones to get a lesson in humility, and frankly, Sonnen would have been as shocked as anyone to win.

For the one defense he’d get.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

@MCM – Thankyou sir, for making the predictions of the night of the night.
    Correct or not, I love the honesty of your honesty.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Yeah, Jones’ foot was jacked. It would have been extremely difficult for him to continue. Looked like he wanted to cry during the post-fight interview. He definitely deserves respect for getting through it.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

How would the broken toe been treated any different than the eye poke? It would have been a stoppage and go to the judges and Jones would have clearly won the round.

Maybe it is not the same. Not sure.

Jones clearly made a statement and I think I can hear all his haters sobbing in their soup from here. If he wins his next fight much less if he wins if stoppage then he will own most title defenses at LHW and most stoppages. Then what will the haters say next? Maybe we can hate because he didn’t avenge his loss to Matt Hammill. Sounds good.

• Screenplaya says:

Steve Mazzagatti is doing backflips of joy following the St Preux/Villante fight. We have a new low-water mark for shitty referee decisions. Mulhern probably shouldn’t be allowed to umpire little league baseball games.

I wish the UFC could set guidelines and demand refs (and judges) take required training, so they could move towards consistency in both reffing and judging.

PS. If Belcher doesn’t produce a note from a doctor explaining that he was not fit to fight tonight, he should make a public apology for not making any attempt to win the fight.
    PPS. I hope his eye is fine. He had no business being in the ring with a fighter of Bisping’s calibre, but I definitely hope is okay.

• Richard Stabone says:

First UFC event I didn’t watch at all in a long time, thanks to the Chael factor. Sounds like it was a bit strange.

• AlphaOmega says:

Didn’t have the $$ to watch the PPV, but caught the last three prelims..so I got to see the stupid ref and the nasty broken thumb, plus the womens fight, so that was cool I guess.

• AlphaOmega says:

Also happy that I went 4-2 in predictions

• MCM says:

Just caught the Big Country and Sonnen fights and I saw most of the prelims.
    6-3 on my predictions overall.

What a shitty night for MMA refs (miss you Rosenthal). I caught the crazyness in the prelims and think the Jones/Sonnnen was CLEARLY too early. Doesn’t mean the fight wouldn’t have gone the same way, but Chael was intelligently defending himself AND adjusting his position. I forget that little guys name, but he’s usually a decent ref.
    Shitting reffing really pisses me off. Jones had that round in the bag and was putting a beating on Chael and now I (and a shit ton of others) are questioning Jones’s win based on the actions of someone else. It’s not fair to Chael, Jones, or the fans. Athletic commissions set the guidelines for these guys and they DO have to go through quite a bit of training, but when fighter has an off night it affects his career, when a ref has one it affects the careers and lives of others.

• king mah mah says:

@Mad_Hatter_XX

The eye poke is a foul. So if someone can’t continue because of a inadvertent foul, it goes to the scorecards. A broken toe is something that happened during the course of all legal strikes and fighting. Basically it would have been a TKO for Sonnen.

• king mah mah says:

Same thing goes for kicks to the groin.

• king mah mah says:

Oh by the way, the Jones/Sonnen fight was stopped too early! Could’ve definitely went to round 2. Lucky for Jones it didn’t!

• MCM says:

I said it in another thread king mah mah, because the broken toe wasn’t a result of Chael’s offense, I don’t think he could have gotten a TKO. I think the fight would have been ruled a No Contest. And it should have been as I agree the fight was stopped too early.