Dana White: “Anderson called me tonight and wants a fight.”

Anderson Silva - MMAWEEKLYThe prospect of a super-fight between UFC champions Anderson Silva and Jon Jones appears to be inching closer and closer to becoming a reality. Last week, Jones admitted he was open to the idea of action against Silva at some point soon and “The Spider” has openly considered the possibility as well.

Adding to fuel to speculation about the forthcoming scrap, UFC President Dana White mentioned he got a phone call from the middleweight king after Jones’ successful title-defense against Chael Sonnen at UFC 159 when asked about the potential pairing by Fuel TV’s broadcast team.

“Anderson called me tonight and wants a fight. I’m not going to tell you which fight he wants, but I’m going to get to work on it as soon as possible,” said White, leaving the door open for welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre to be Silva’s supposed target in addition to Jones.

Sonnen also weighed in on the possibility of Jones facing Silva by Fuel TV, telling the crew he felt “Bones” was the superior scrapper based on his experiences with both.

“Jon is a lot better than I thought he was. To beat a guy is one thing. To beat a guy at his game is another. He’s the best fighter I’ve ever fought. He was stronger than Silva,” Sonnen stated. “The last thing I want to do is disparage Anderson Silva. It’s tough. I whipped him for 30 minutes. He whipped me for 30 seconds. I whipped Jon for zero seconds. He whipped me the entire fight. If you’re asking me for my opinion, Jon’s better.”

Jones is 18-1 with past wins over Mauricio Rua, Rashad Evans, Quinton Jackson, and Lyoto Machida. Meanwhile, Silva is 33-4 with sixteen straight instances of success in the Octagon including those over Vitor Belfort, Forrest Griffin, and Dan Henderson. Both are widely considered to be the top two pound-for-pound fighters in MMA.

Silva is currently set to face unbeaten contender Chris Weidman on July 6 at UFC 162.

PHOTO CREDIT – MMAWEEKLY

• AlphaOmega says:

So much for Silva/Weidman apparently

• Screenplaya says:

Two things:

1) The true P4P champion is Georges St Pierre, the man who made “beating people at their own game” his calling card. Jones took a page out of GSP’s book in this fight, but he had the benefit of having a smaller opponent.

2) Dana is wily. It doesn’t matter who Silva called out, he will have to fight Jones. If he called out Jones, then they fight. If he called out GSP, after watching Jones destroy Sonnen, he will look like he is afraid of Jones. Uncle Dana is gonna deliver us the best superfight possible, Silva/Jones.

PS. GSP would ground and pound Silva to a decision, most likely. Bad style matchup for Silva.

• MCM says:

the real true P4P fighter is Dan Henderson. Wining belts at both 185 and 205 in one of the best org in the world and beating top 10 HWs. Until another fighter can match that, let’s put this P4P shit to rest.

Now, I DON’T think Silva called out Jones after the fight. I think Silva wants to keep his undefeated legacy intact and I’m willing to bet we’ll never see Jones/Silva. Especially now that Anderson has signed a new 10 fight contract. Silva is amazing but you can’t say he’s one of those fighters that always tries to “test” themselves and seeks out the best opponents. We (the fans) want the fight, but I don’t believe Anderson does, no matter how much he hints at it.

• sdouglasmc says:

I think Anderson’s next fight will show us how bad he wants a fight with Jones. If he comes out and completely destroys Weidman then I would say he means business with Jones. Anything less, I’d say it’s a GSP play.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I’ve said it before.. I don’t think Silva wants any part of Jones. Jones would be the bigger, stronger, younger fighter. Jones is a very solid wrestler and if Chael couldn’t take him down I doubt Silva would because that isn’t his game.

James will GNP the hell outta Silva. I think it would be competitive, but not extremely close fight favoring JBJ.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Jones not James..damned auto correct

• raker says:

MCM… I love Hendo but there’s no way that he’s top P4P. He’s lost to the guy who is widely considered to hold that rank as well as Jake Shields who is a gatekeeper at WW at best. Lucky win for Shields but Hendo’s gotta pull that one off to be considered the best.

Seriously looking forward to the possibility of Jones-Silva and have a couple of thoughts…

1. Silva better work on his takedown defense as a Greg Jackson trained Jon Jones is likely to exploit that weakness.

2. Can’t wait to see Silva tested by a top tier LHW. No Griffin, Irvin or Bonnar. He’s cleaned house against everyone since joining the UFC except for the first Sonnen fight and he needs a strong challenge.

3. If Silva does fight Jones and wins does Machida go to MW?

• Screenplaya says:

I like the idea of considering Hendo for P4P best. At least he is a better option than Fedor, who Dan punched holes through…despite being 6 years older than Fedor. Henderson wouldn’t get my vote, but I respect him and accept the possibility. Sure, Shields beat him, but Serra beat GSP. Even greats make mistakes, take guys too lightly. But, Hendo has a loss to Anderson Silva, so I think he can’t be placed atop the list.

Prediction: Silva called out Bisping. With Bisping TOTALLY outclassing another contender, this fight might he sellable now, plus Silva gets to cement his legacy as the greatest striker ever if he dismantles Bisping, one of the most highly-regarded strikers out there.

• MCM says:

Not trying to bring up the P4P debate, and I’m not even a fan of Hendos. Just saying, when you look at success at different weight classes (or Pounds) it’s hard to argue against Hendo. I guess you could put Silva ahead since he has the win over Hendo and fought successfully at 170 and 205, but he wasn’t a champ in either of those weights……Yet.

Good call Screenplaya on Bisping. You might be right there.

• qat says:

@Screenplaya at the press conference when Dana spoke about the telephone call someone asked if it is either GSP or JBJ, which Dana replied to with: yes.

• moosebaby02 says:

So what happened too Wideman?

• AlphaOmega says:

@moose Wideman/Silva doesn’t make as much $$ as Silva/Jones or GSP. Weidman is still talking like he’s got the fight against Silva, but if push comes to shove Dana will be more then glad to put that fight on the back burner for one of the two super fights

• moosebaby02 says:

That’s why I asked cause Wideman is talking like the next fight is him

• moosebaby02 says:

The UFC has Anderson fighting Weidman July 6th

• qat says:

yes the weidman fight is happening. after that there could be superfights

• soundspawn says:

MCM I think you are spot if it’s the top-shelf “Pound for Pound Greatest of All Time” which would obviously place more emphases on achievements throughout ones career and really drive home the concept of everyone being in their primes. I think it’s a very hard sell to remove Hendo from that pedestal at this time. Just his ability to perform so well at several weight classes, including being competitive (and sometimes winning) against greats above his natural class…

However I think most people inject the context of “if fighter A fought fighter B right now, and the lighter fighter had some kind of x-factor edge given to compensate for the weight difference, who would win”. With that consideration Hendo drops a lot because he’s not performing as well as he did during his peak, and a guy like Silva, I think, rises to the top. If he can demonstrate success if a heavier class than he holds a title in, and be so dominate in both… he could actually lose a Jones fight and still be considered P4P best today. It’s not necessarily who wins, but how competitive it is, since Silva would be at a disadvantage going in.