UFC releases Phil De Fries, six others

Phil De Fries - MMAWEEKLYThe Zuffa axe swung this week, chopping seven fighters from the UFC roster based on recent performance coupled with overall potential. The entire group of since-scrapped scrappers all took to the Octagon this month with the biggest name in the bunch also representing the largest affected athlete – heavyweight Phil De Fries.

According to MMAOpinion, De Fries’ nineteen-second knockout loss to Matt Mitrione at UFC on Fuel 9 resulted in his release. The defeat dropped his UFC record to 2-3 with all of his stumbles coming via strike-based stoppage.

Joining De Fries in free agency are Strikeforce veteran Chris Spang, as well as Ultimate Fighter 17 cast-members Kevin Casey, Adam Cella, Jimmy Quinlan, Collin Hart, and Gilbert Smith. All six of the men received the proverbial “one and done” treatment in terms of in-ring appearances under the UFC banner.

PHOTO CREDIT – MMAWEEKLY

• AlphaOmega says:

They have an influx of fighters currently so I’m guessing this isnt going to be the last mass release

• hindsightufuk says:

getting rid of mediocre fighters is good, getting rid of Fitch’s, Etim’s and Sass’s is not

• THEGUNNER says:

Lenard garcia should be on that list as well as kongo. Ive got to say this years match ups on ppv have bben the worst ive ever seen the fox cards are better.

• Screenplaya says:

I am little surprised that so many TUF guys are getting one-and-doned, considering how good the season was. I thought maybe they would give Gilbert Smith or Colin Hart another shot, but I think it is fair to think that the guys they cut weren’t likely to become contenders, so I don’t have an issue with it.

And I like the DeFries cut because it sends a message to fighters that they can’t be laying eggs and expect to remain under contract.

• MCM says:

I thought Quinlan, Hart and Gilbert Smith might have gotten a second chance, but I’m not upset over their leaving.

Garcia should definitely be on the list given that if it wasn’t for out and out robberies against Phan, Jung and Roop he would be on a 10 fight losing streak. He hasn’t convincingly beat anyone since KOing Pulver in 2008.

I presume we’re gonna hear of more cuts by the end of the week.

• AlphaOmega says:

Gunner you might of gotten your wish, rumor is that Kongo got cut, he’s saying it was his last fight of the contract and that he wasn’t cut though, so don’t know for sure.