Demian Maia reportedly matched with Josh Koscheck at UFC 163

Josh-Koscheck - MMAWEEKLYAn interesting welterweight clash, albeit not one making a lot of sense from a divisional standpoint, has apparently been booked for Brazil in the form of a fight between Demian Maia-Josh Koscheck at UFC 163. Both men are talented grapplers, though Koscheck has heavier hands and Maia’s submission arsenal is unmatched at 170 pounds.

While not officially announced, MMAFighting did confirm the match-up with sources attached to the event. The August 3 card is scheduled to unfold in Rio de Janeiro and will feature featherweight champ Jose Aldo putting his belt on the line against Anthony Pettis in the main event.

Maia is 3-0 since moving down to welterweight including impressive outings against Rick Story and Jon Fitch. He holds an overall record of 18-4 with nine wins by way of submission.

Comparably, the 17-7 Koscheck is coming off back-to-back losses but remains one of the weight-class’ biggest stars based on his tenure and talent for talking trash. Among his most notable past victories are those over Anthony Johnson, Paul Daley, Diego Sanchez, and Matt Hughes.

PHOTO CREDIT – MMAWEEKLY

• joe mo mma says:

I think Maia got screwed here. It’s a lose lose for him to fight Koshcheck right now. I would love to see Maia fight more top 5 guys out there, Koshcheck is not one of them.

• fanoftna33 says:

Is it just me or is the UFC using Koscheck here like they use Sonnen, he talks a great game and hypes fights but the reality is Koscheck hasnt earned this one. Thats not to say he isnt a top guy at 170, heck he arguably took the fight against Hendricks and has a great record but with two losses in a row you gotta go with another guy on a losing skid, how about Maia and Matt Brown if he isnt to banged up?

• soundspawn says:

I think the UFC wants to donate another AKA guy to WSOF. I don’t see this going much different than it did with Fitch, during or after.

• Creature says:

I think Kos stops the TD and destroys Maia on the feet. 3rd round TKO

• MCM says:

Gotta agree with you Creature. I’d rather Maia win, but I’m leaning toward Kos.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

I don’t know how many fights Kos has left on his contract, but this could be his ticket out the door.
    I don’t see this as a lose lose for Maia.
    A win over Kos still has value, IMO.
    I’ve got Maia by weird sub, Rnd3.