Josh Thomson has harsh words for Nate Diaz

Josh Thomson has harsh words for Nate Diaz

UFC lightweight Nate Diaz suffered the first strike-based stoppage of his career last month in a match-up with Josh Thomson. While losing in such a clear-cut fashion might normally result in a bit of humility, Diaz has gone the other direction and recently called Thomson out in hopes of receiving a rematch.

Thomson has heard Diaz’s challenge and didn’t waste any time issuing a response. “The Punk” recently stopped by BJPenn.com Radio where he shrugged off the notion, telling Diaz he should worry about things other than a second shot at someone who beat him “fair and square”.

“I am going to say this directly to him. Nate, you didn’t make the weight, so how are you going to make the weight when we fight again? That’s the thing that’s discerning. We all let it slide because it was a huge fight, but you didn’t make the weight and you still lost,” said Thomson, pointing to Diaz’s issues on the scale prior to the pairing getting green-lighted. “Like I said, I’m looking forward to the title-shot…I’m looking forward to getting in there for the title. If I have to go through him again to do it, then so be it. Maybe you should start watching what you eat? Maybe you should start doing that to take care of yourself? You couldn’t make the weight the first time and that was something I was going to keep to myself, but you want to start talking trash? Saying all these things, knowing that I beat you fair and square, I guess next time we’ll take 20% of your purse if you don’t make weight.”

“It’s an issue I could have brought up and made a big deal about but I didn’t do it because that’s not the kind of person I am,” he concluded. “I could have made a big fuss and taken it, rubbed some salt in the wound and taken 20% percent of your purse after you lost, but I didn’t. That’s the kind of person I am, I moved on and I suggest you do the same thing.”

Thomson picked Diaz apart in their tilt before landing a head-kick and series of strikes to seal the deal in the second stanza on their UFC on FOX 7 scrap. The win was only his fourth by way of TKO.

• soundspawn says:

Dear Mr. Thomsom,
    Mr. Diaz made weight by the regulations set forth by the commission and the contracts you both signed. Your gesture of not fining him 20%, while on its face kind, is at best a fantasy.

Sincerely,
    The Facts

• AlphaOmega says:

I’d watch them fight again, mostly so I can see the Ceasar Gracie corner throw in the towel one more time in the ultimate gesture of quitting.

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 1

• climbarock says:

Josh should have just said, “Whatever,” and let it be.

• THEGUNNER says:

Its fun watching the diaz bros talk shit then get beat down.

Well-Done. Thumb up 11 Thumb down 1

• Richard Stabone says:

The weigh-in was pretty wacky. Nate got on the scale wearing only a pair of boxer briefs and his weight was announced at 157, (above the 156-lb max weight LW non-title fight). So Nate ditched the briefs and popped right back up on the scale. Now at this point there are a few dudes–including Dana White–circled around Nate holding up a towel…. and they’re just peering in at the figure on the scale, but nothing is announced. This continues for an awkwardly long period of time, with Dana and a regulation guy having some sort of dialogue, until finally–a full 50 seconds after Nate got nakey–the weight is announced at 156. He must have had a couple ounces of weed tucked away in his skivvies.

So I think what Josh is saying is that they eventually just gave Nate a slight break and rounded down to 156. But whatever, normally I’d say not really a big deal when you’re talking a small fraction of a pound… but when the Gracie camp decided to make a big stink about GSP’s weight when he beat older bro Nick, I guess it’s fair game for Josh to bring it up after Nate is talking nonsense even after getting his ass kicked.

And for those who haven’t seen/heard Nate’s actual comments in response to the beating Josh gave him, here are a few nuggets to enjoy…

“I think the stop was premature, but I didn’t want to cause a scene at the time.”

…despite the fact his own corner threw in the towel to ask for mercy.

“I was in there fighting and the guy jumped in stopped the fight and I was like, ‘What the f*ck is going on here? Why are you stopping the fight?’ I thought I was good to go but I didn’t want to make a scene.”

How very gracious of Nate not to “make a scene.”

“He didn’t come in there and put no ass whooping on me, you know what I’m saying?”

Um, no. Is that the drugs talking?

“I have never fought somebody before who had ever wanted out of a fight so bad.”

Yeah, Josh didn’t want any part of a 3rd round of action…that pussy had to take the quick way out.

“That motherf*cker was straight running and I had to chase him down. I was the aggressor … how can you not be when a guy is running scared sh*tless for his life?”

Word. You should ask for a rematch.

Well-Done. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 1

• AlphaOmega says:

Not only did the corner throw in the towel for mercy Richard , which is still one of the greatest things ever about that fight besides a Diaz getting head kicked, but if you look in the background all of them are jumping up screaming end the fight end the fight and flapping their arms.

• soundspawn says:

Wow apparently I shouldn’t point out facts around here… interesting.

I’m aware of the oddities at the weigh in but the official weight was 156 and even if it had not been, he would have been allowed time (1 hour?) to cut the half pound or pound… so to jump straight to “Oh I could have taken 20% of your money” is so premature, and objectively false, I don’t know why Josh would zero in on it as a talking point.

• MCM says:

Diaz came out and said Josh was scared shitless, made “lady noises” and didn’t do anything to win the fight. The Punk is just fighting crazy with crazy. When dealing with mental midgets like the Diaz bros., you can’t argue with them using logic and reason, you have to come back at them on their level.

Nate got TKO’d and was beaten so bad that his team begged for the ref to stop the fight….yet he still thinks he won. What is Josh supposed to say?

“Well technically, I did enough damage to warrant a referee stoppage under the unified rules of engagement established in the sport of Mixed Martial Arts……blah, blah blah.”

Diaz ain’t trying to hear that! He don’t even know what that means. No, Josh has to come back with a response a Diaz will understand.

“Bitch! You didn’t even make weight!” is perfectly acceptable.
    Also acceptable would have been: “Bitch! I saw you at the corner store buying and milk and Bazooka Joe and you was all alone. so….”
    and
    “Bitch! We was at this party and my boy (fill in the blank) stepped, and you was all like ‘Wha….?’ and, cut, like you know……fuck it. It’s like whatever, I gotta get paid. Bitch!”

Thomson knows you can’t fight crazy with sane, you gotta fight it with crazy.

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 0

• AlphaOmega says:

That..That was just beautiful MCM..just beautiful

Well-Done. Thumb up 10 Thumb down 0