Pat Healy suspended 90 days after testing positive for marijuana use

Pat Healy suspended 90 days after testing positive for marijuana use

It’s hard to imagine any Strikeforce veteran was more excited than lightweight Pat Healy when the UFC announced its intent to bring a number of the now defunct organization’s top competitors into the fold. Healy had worked his tail off for years to land the opportunity, putting together a 6-1 run under the Strikeforce banner and even seeing two title-shots fall apart due to matters outside of his control. So, when Healy picked up a hard-fought submission win over Jim Miller last month at UFC 159, it was easy to feel good for the grizzled grappler.

Unfortunately, Healy’s victory has since been tainted, as “Bam Bam” recently revealed he’d tested positive for marijuana use in relation to the match-up. As a result he has been suspended 90 days and the win was changed to a No Contest. It is likely he was fined too though no confirmation has been offered on that front.

“I stand behind the UFC and the state commission’s disciplinary actions. I support efforts to make MMA and sports a clean, safe and fair place to compete,” said Healy of the situation in a statement from his management. “First and foremost, I would like to acknowledge and take responsibility for my mistake. I made a very poor choice to socially use marijuana, and now I must face the consequences of that choice. I can assure you that I will do everything the UFC and state commission asks of me and beyond. I will also make a conscious effort to be a better role model within the MMA community.”

The 29-16 Healy’s win over Miller earned both Submission of the Night and Fight of the Night honors, landing the 29-year old more than $125,000 in bonus money. Both awards (and the cash) are likely subject to forfeit in the wake of this week’s news. Prior to the current situation he had never failed a drug test.

• THEGUNNER says:

who doesnt use mary jane these days?

• soundspawn says:

That is one expensive bowl he smoked, I’m seeing reports of at least $130k

Who uses mary jane at those prices?

• AlphaOmega says:

That’s what 8 or 9 fighters just in 2013 now? I’m beginning to lose count

• climbarock says:

Other articles have Healy stating that he smoked with friends a month before the fight. I’m not sure if I buy that. That’s an awful long time for it to stay in your system when you’ve got the training schedule of a pro MMA fighter and body fat percentage of Healy.

• MCM says:

Damn. And I was all aboard the Pat Healy band wagon for a while now. The shit is illegal and getting caught affects ones ability to earn a living. Why the hell do fighters keep pulling this shit?

• THEGUNNER says:

Only commintators get to toke up.

• fanoftna33 says:

Bad news for Healy but great news for Caraway. Didnt Alex Caceras just get 6 months off for the same damm thing? Why only 90 days for Healy then?

• king mah mah says:

When are we just gonna legalize this shit and get it over with?!! Is this country (and many others) really going to continue to punish hard working people and say they can’t earn a living just because they smoke weed? WOW!

I know it’s part of the rules and he broke them. I don’t smoke now because my job. But you can bet your ass I will be smoking again as soon as I can or they legalize it!

• AlphaOmega says:

So caraway and tate have apparently been bragging about how caraway now gets the SOTN bonus due to Healy failing his drug test and losing it. Is it just me, or is your bf getting choked out and now you getting paid on a fuck up, and bragging about it like you earned it a little off?