During a conference call with media last week, a UFC official expressed confidence heavyweight Mark Hunt would receive clearance for a visa in time to take on Junior dos Santos at UFC 160 with the “Super Samoan” offering similar sentiments. Hunt has been stuck at home in New Zealand for the past few weeks based on a decade-old arrest interfering with his ability to travel to Las Vegas for the May 25 match-up.
Though it was initially thought Hunt might be on a plane as early as this weekend, the 39-year old recently revealed he wouldn’t be departing for a few more days if not longer.
“I’m still waiting. I think I should be getting one on Monday. Hopefully Monday,” said Hunt in a conversation with the Nevada Athletic Commission captured by MMAFighting.
Also noteworthy, Roy Nelson was licensed to fight Dos Santos at the same NAC meeting in case he’s called upon to fill in for Hunt. However, he is said to be holding out for more money before completely committing to the tilt.
Front-Page Photo Credit: MMAWEEKLY/UFC