Josh Barnett inks UFC deal

Josh Barnett inks UFC deal

The UFC’s heavyweight division is easily the best collection of “big boy” talent in the world. However, one key player has been missing for awhile in the form of Josh Barnett who wasn’t even brought over when the bulk of Strikeforce’s roster was folded into the UFC earlier this year.

That wrong was righted this week when the organization inked the seasoned veteran to a multi-fight contract with expectations of action in the near future. MMAJunkie broke the news late last night with confirmation of the deal coming from Zuffa officials.

Barnett is 32-6 in his career with notable past wins over Mark Hunt, Jeff Monson, Sergei Kharitonov, and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, not to mention success in nine of his last ten tilts. The majority of the 35-year old’s victories have featured some form of his finish as well with seven TKOs and twenty submissions to his credit.

Additionally, “The Warmaster” is also a former UFC champion, though he was stripped of the belt after testing positive for performance enhancing drugs a decade ago.

• soundspawn says:

Just keep him in Brazil, and everyone wins…

…am I doing it right?

• THEGUNNER says:

Barnett is great for the ufc hw division and would of made this weekends card way better if he was fightin jds or hunt but him vs big country seems to be what makes sense.

• fanoftna33 says:

Give Barnette the winner of Meathead vs Schuab. If Barnette wins then a top 10 guy next.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

I’d wager Barnett’s first opponent will be Frank Mir.

• AlphaOmega says:

I’d think that too Brendhan but something he said on twitter makes me think otherwise, he made the comment that since apparently Mir is off the table, what does everyone think about the rubber match with Big Nog.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I think he needs a lower ranked opponent, let him prove to everyone that he is clean and if he wins then step him up in competition. I like the idea of Meathead or Schaub

• MCM says:

I read about the Big Nog rubber match too. Personally, I like it. I also like Barnett and Mir and I like him against Big Country and Overeem too. Outside of Cain, JDS, Cormier and possibly Werdum, I think Josh holds his own against everyone on the HW roster.