Tyron Woodley knows he poses problems for “specialist” Jake Shields

Tyron Woodley knows he poses problems for “specialist” Jake Shields

UFC welterweight Tyron Woodley will never be mistaken for a Muay Thai specialist as a fighter whose background is almost exclusively in wrestling. He’s also good at what he does too, possessing the ability to hold plenty of opponent down and ride out a decision if so desired. However, Woodley’s power and dedication to improvement have made him a threat beyond blanketing or even submissions. In fact, his last two finishes have come by way of strikes including a knockout of Jay Hieron a few months back.

Entering his UFC 161 scrap with Jake Shields, the 31-year old is ready to show the world he’s the a fire-wielding caveman in comparison to a dinosaur like Shields where grappling is concerned.

“He’s on his way out. He’s a specialist. It’s what happened with Royce Gracie-Matt Hughes and when Matt Hughes met Georges St-Pierre, and that’s what’s going to happen when Jake meets me on June 15,” said Woodley in an interview with Sherdog Radio. “He’s the Last of the Mohicans. He’s like Royce Gracie — he’s the last grappler left in the game, if you think about it. He’s the last specialist.”

“The problem is that I’m a good wrestler. I’m a good grappler. I’m a good striker. I’m in the best shape,” he continued. “I think those things are the elements that he can’t control. When he tries to take me down and get me on the ground and get me to the one spot where he can win, and he can’t do that, now you’ve got to stand up. Now you’ve got to get hit. You’ve got to get kicked in the face. That’s the anxiety I want to put into his head, to say, ‘Hey, man, you can only win one way and you can’t even get to that spot to even have success.’ I think that’s going to give me the opportunity to exploit him and get him out of there.”

The 11-1 Woodley owns past wins over Jordan Mein, Paul Daley and Tarec Saffiedine. Seven of his victories have featured some form of stoppage. Meanwhile, Shields is 27-6-1 with a ton of submissions but hasn’t put a foe away in four years.

• AlphaOmega says:

I’ll always root for Shields, so I’m hoping he gets the win

• moosebaby02 says:

I’m thinking Woodley might be right

• THEGUNNER says:

Shields is tough but this is gonna be a tough fight if he cant get it to the ground. Id say woodlys getting the k o.

• Niv says:

I would say it’s a no brainer Woodley has this until now that he said what he did. This sport has an amazing way of dealing with over confident fighters that don’t respect the abilities of those in front of them. We need not go any further than Overeem with Silva, and there are no doubt dozens more fights that can be used as examples.

I’m almost ready to say Shields takes this as Woodley may just be too confident here.

• moosebaby02 says:

I was thinking the same thing Niv but Jake is just not good enough to land a karma bomb

• THEGUNNER says:

Jake has no power in his punches. Bisping will get a k o before shields does because his punches are crisp shields isnt a solid striker so his wrestling better be up to par.

• THEGUNNER says:

• MCM says:

Woodleys striking has come a long way from his early days when he was more blanket than fighter. I know he got KO’d by Nate the Great but that was a very close fight up till that point and it was because of Woodleys confidence in his hands. I think Shields is a lot tougher than people give him credit for, but this is just a bad match up stylistically and I think Woodley finishes it in the first 5min.