Fabricio Werdum: “I feel like I’m ready to fight for the belt.”

Fabricio Werdum: “I feel like I’m ready to fight for the belt.”

UFC heavyweight Fabricio Werdum was on the cusp of contendership a little less than five years ago when he encountered a fresh-faced Junior dos Santos, losing the fight and his spot on the company’s roster shortly thereafter. This weekend, Werdum will face Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in the main event of UFC on Fuel 10 with a similar set of circumstances minus the debuting future champion, as he’s currently riding the momentum of consecutive wins over Mike Russow and Roy Nelson.

In a conversation with MMAJunkie, the 35-year old Brazilian explained he was confident a convincing performance against his seasoned countryman would cement a shot at the title with the added bonus of avenging a 2006 stumble to Nogueira involved as well.

“He’s a fighter with a lot of history, and he continues to make history. He’s not just any fighter. He’s a very special guy. Beating him would mean a big step forward,” said Werdum. “I see myself with the top fighters. I don’t usually go by rankings. I try to guide myself by what the fans say. I feel like I’m in the top five in the world in the division. I feel like I’m ready to fight for the belt.”

Werdum holds a 16-5-1 mark in MMA including finishes of Gabriel Gonzaga, Alistair Overeem, and Fedor Emelianenko. Comparably, Nogueira is 34-7-1 with an impressive 21 submission wins to his credit.

• Niv says:

If Werdum beats Nog I would like to see him get the next title shot. He’s not getting any younger and he has proven he is upper echelon in the HW division.

• THEGUNNER says:

Big nog has a lot of miles on him I think werdum willbwin and deserves a title shot before jds.

• MCM says:

Werdums only loss since the JDS fight is his loss to Overeem, a fight where he out struck, out grappled, and out scored Alistair for 15 minuets. In that time he pulled off wins against #1 ranked Fedor, #9 ranked Bigfoot, #10 ranked Roy Nelson #10 ranked Mike Russow, #9 ranked Big Nog (presuming he wins) and Overeem was ranked in the top 5. There isn’t another fighter that has Faced that many top opponents in the HW division, let alone one that has Beaten them without getting a title shot.

Like a lot of people, I was calling for Werdum to get a shot before TUF Brazil, and like GUNNER, I also think he deserves it more than JDS. But with Dana being mum on Werdum, I get the feeling Fabricio is, for some reason, the de facto Jon Fitch of the HW division.

• AlphaOmega says:

So did Werdum say that or did Nogueira? Because the title sayd Werdum, but in the article the paragraph with the conversation says that Nogueira said it.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

even if werdum wins i cant see him beating cain who seems to have translated his wrestling accumen to nullify any kind of jujitsu

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Fixed. Thanks for the catch AO.

• Niv says:

MCM bang on. I also think he’s more than capable of beating Cain. The tools are there and I think he has a much better chance than some people might think.