Josh Thomson under fire for comments on gay marriage

Josh Thomson under fire for comments on gay marriage

The UFC appears to have another controversy on its hands relating to a fighter making questionable remarks regarding homosexuality. This time around, the competitor under fire for his statements is lightweight Josh Thomson. Though Thomson did not go so far as to do anything as salacious as a slur, he painted with an exceptionally broad paintbrush while raising questions about gay marriage.

“Should you be allowed to marry whoever you want? Before you answer that, should you be allowed to have more than one wife,” asked Thomson on Twitter, taking to Facebook to expand on his thoughts. “My next question is, should siblings be allowed to marry siblings? My point is, where do you draw the line? I personally don’t care who you marry but I also am smart enough to know that it opens a gateway to men/women trying to marry young kids, siblings marrying each other and people having multiple husbands and wives. You have to think all of these things are okay otherwise your stopping them from being happy as well which is hypocrisy. Equality doesn’t stop with gay marriage, it just starts with it.”

“Blacks and whites getting married is nothing like this,” he continued. “So you’re okay with R. Kelly trying To marry little girls? People trying to marry their brother or sister? Animals? Etc? Those people want the same exact thing, to be happy. Are you gonna tell them no?”

UFC officials have yet to address Thomson’s take on the situation. If deemed inappropriate, it is likely the 34-year old will likely be hit with a brief suspension and fine based on the organization’s handling of similar situations in the past.

UPDATE: Thomson issued a new statement via BJPenn.com based on the controversy, writing, “I am not against gay rights or gay marriage in anyway. My comments were completely taken out of context by some members of the media and I have since removed them out of respect for anyone who may have been offended. It was not my intention to offend or hurt anyone.”

• MCM says:

” I personally don’t care who you marry but I also am smart enough to know that it opens a gateway to men/women trying to marry young kids, ”

No you’re not. You’re not smart enough to realize you might have just cost yourself a job.

• AlphaOmega says:

All his comments are apples and oranges when it comes to the issue. Gay marriage is two consenting adults, it doesn’t mean it opens the door for kids to get married and everything else. With UFC’s new deal with FOX they have become way more PC, so I’d be surprised if they don’t suspend him or at least fine him for his comments.

• Richard Stabone says:

Josh stated an opinion without attacking anyone. I think some of his thought process is pretty misguided, but I don’t see a problem with someone having different opinions on what should/shouldn’t be culturally acceptable. I mean, this boils down to a discussion around tolerance, so how silly is it if the people clamoring for tolerance can’t handle differing points of view?

But yeah, why is polygamy illegal? What’s wrong with multiple consenting adults of legal age shacking up as one big happy family?

Well-Done. Thumb up 10 Thumb down 0

• AlphaOmega says:

Really though governments shouldn’t have any say in marriage, because it’s suppose to be a promise between you, the person, and whatever god you want to believe in, and church and state are suppose to be separate.

Also should Thompson be punished, if he is, for this? No because he has the freedom to say what he wants on his own personal Facebook page, but like I mentioned, UFC is way more PC now, and this might not fly. Even though their head face isn’t near as PC as he thinks he is, and says worse then a lot of the fighters who have currently been suspended for comments.

• THEGUNNER says:

I think people should express how they feel period. Put it in the contract. U will be fined if yada yada yada sign here. I can care less what people do with their lives as long as it dont affect my kids. I have family members men and wemon that are gay I simply stray away from them because I dont want my kids wondering why a girl or guy is crossed dressed. Imo if your a gay man your still a man right? Why dress and act like a little girl. Why do lesbian women dress like men. Im confused a cant answer questions so I stay away because everyone gets offended when u judge them. If it dont bother me I wont feel the need to respond or defend.

• soundspawn says:

He can have any opinion he wants and should not be punished for having it. He presented said opinion in a professional manner, so no punishment is warranted there either. Unrelated, his opinion happens to be fucking stupid.

• soundspawn says:

Oh Gunner, you had me for a while there; then you went all head-in-the-sand and lost it. Avoid gays so your kids don’t ask questions? I won’t cast judgement, but I would beg you to reconsider that approach.

• AlphaOmega says:

“He can have any opinion he wants and should not be punished for having it. He presented said opinion in a professional manner, so no punishment is warranted there either”

That’s how it should be soundspawn, and we will have to wait and see for sure, but with the UFC trying to be friends with everyone, I wouldn’t be surprised to see some punishment, even if its a really small fine.

• THEGUNNER says:

Maybe some one can help. What makes it ok to be gay? How does a man be attracted to a man? Why do they dress like wemon if they re gay men? Can they have kids? Should they have kids? Open mic soundspawn. Questions I cant answer.

• darth_irritable says:

His reasoning is very specious, but he framed it respectably, and should not be punished for this; even if he is a moron.

• MCM says:

Black people are intellectually inferior, Jews are a lower subspecies of human, and I don’t sit on public toilets cause that’s how you get the AIDS.
    Are we seriously having this conversation in 2013!?

Josh Thompson made bigoted remarks on public forums. Yes, Twitter and Facebook are public forums. Is it OK for him to make those remarks? NO. Is it legal? Technically, yes. It’s also legal for him to say Kyke, Slope, Spic, Chink, Faggot, Retard, Towelhead and Nigger. If he came out and said “Niggers make better athletes.”, he’d get ripped apart even though it’s technically a compliment. The Punk is an employee and therefore a representative of the UFC. What he states in public is reflected on his company and I expect him to be reprimanded for it. The same way I would expect a school teacher to be reprimanded for exposing KKK regardless of how he treated his students.

@GUNNER
    “What makes it ok to be gay?” – What makes it OK to be a Woman? What makes it OK to be tall? What makes it OK for Sarah Palin to keep breading? Being Gay is not a choice, it’s who you are.
    Same thing with how they’re attracted to Men. I love short, round, brunettes with big tits. My best friend likes tall, thin, blonds with no curves. The heart wants what the heart wants.
    As for dressing like women….do you still think this is the 70′s? I’m good friends with a lot of homosexuals and NONE of them are cross dressers. But if they are, how is that any different than guys that wear their pants below their asses, chicks that wear jeans, or grown men that wear Baseball caps. I’m personally offended by baseball caps as there’s no piece of clothing that makes you look more ignorant that a ball cap worn backwards.
    Yes, homosexuals can have kids. Yes, some of them should. Not every straight person should though, but we don’t question it when Honey Boo boos mom is a 32 yr old Grandmother.

• MCM says:

“….exposing KKK tattoos…”

any chance on that edit button Brendhan.

• Dufresne says:

My only problem is when he started asking why people can’t marry children or siblings.

The first is because children aren’t allowed to enter legal contracts partly because a young person’s mind is not done developing and are prone to making bad decisions.

The second is because of potentially devastating genetic diseases. Look up hemophilia for starts. I know the research says the risk is fairly low, but it is still far higher than in the general, non-related populace.

And I’m kinda inclined to agree with AlphaOmega. The problem in the US is that there are legal/tax ramifications that benefit married couples, so until those are changed our government is going to have a say in marriages. Right or not.

• AlphaOmega says:

It sounds like it caused you pain to agree with me Duf.

And damn MCM, that’s a massive logic bomb you dropped, don’t think it could of been said better.

Josh Thomson; I wanna take you to a gay bar

• jjdnb says:

freedom? Did someone say this is a free country?

How dare you go against the beliefs of Hollywood and the Media??? If you don’t raise your kids as homosexuals, then you are a bad person and infringing on others rights to be happy. And your a racist too so just accept gay marriage and as a matter of fact go become a homosexual because….it’s what all of us are suppose to do…

• soundspawn says:

Wow I missed the fact this convo is continuing. MCM rounded it out well but I’ll answer the challenge directly as well.

What makes it ok to be gay? The same thing that makes it okay to seek happiness. Different does not equal wrong.

How does a man be attracted to a man? The same way a man may be attracted to a woman. We are not in control of such things. As my mentor said (during a conversation where his daughter came out of the closet) “Love is an exceptionally difficult thing to find in this world. If you find it, I don’t give a fuck who it is with, I want you to have it, hold it, and have my blessing.”

Why do they dress like wemon if they re gay men? The same reason some Disney kids dress like whores, some women dress butch, I wear jeans and sneakers in a formal office, and Benson Henderson wants to wear shorts and flip flops to media conferences. What you wear doesn’t define you, but it can be a form of expression.

Can they have kids? Together, technically no. But they can adopt, inseminate, surrogate, etc.

Should they have kids? Speaking broadly, there is no reason they should or should not versus an “all else is equal” M/F marriage. Studies have shown though that the average gay couple raises better children than the average straight couple. There are numerous reasons this makes a lot of sense, but I’ll only point out one. An average straight couple with children would be a composite of everyone from the perfect marriage to the trailer pack “whoops, I guess we should get married then huh?” variety. Inside that there are all kinds of unhappy marriages and unplanned children. With a gay couple (with very few exceptions) adding a child is a huge endeavor that requires a lot more than dinner and a box of wine. So in other words, the data is slightly skewed. One thing is certain though, a traditional M/F marriage has no inherent edge on any facet of having a healthy, happy, strong relationship… unless you count social acceptance. And we should be ashamed of that fact.