Jon Jones headed to Hollywood

Jon Jones headed to Hollywood

UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones will apparently follow a long list of fighters giving films a shot after revealing he’d met with studio executives and planned to try his hand at action of the scripted variety in the foreseeable future. Fortunately, it is unlikely it will interfere with his in-Octagon career based on the likelihood of big screen success.

“My first meeting today is with the president of MGM studios, wish me luck,” exclaimed Jones on Twitter, later adding the sit down “went perfect” and assuring doubters he could indeed act

Jones’ next outing in the ring is scheduled for September 21 in Toronto at UFC 165 where he’ll face Alexander Gustafsson. If successful the victory will mark a record-breaking sixth straight defense of the divisional strap.

Other UFC fighters-turned actors of note include Cung Le, Quinton Jackson, and most recently Georges St-Pierre.

• MCM says:

There are only two successful mma fighters turned actors, Randy Couture and Oleg Taktarov. And Oleg is the only one that can actually act.

• AlphaOmega says:

Oleg was one of the Russians in Bad Boys 2 right?

• hindsightufuk says:

i swear during the Bellator broadcast Jimmy Smith said that Oleg Taktorov was fighting on the next Bellator card. maybe it was a joke, or it was so late i was hallucinating and he maybe said Matyushenko and not Oleg. swear he said Oleg though

also MCM, i agree with Oleg being a decent actor. gotta add to that list Bob Sapp (he was great in Longest Yard (film sucked)). Don Frye deserves a mention for being in a decent film. ummm, i’m desperately trying to prove you wrong but i cant think of anyone.
    does Bruce Lee count?

• Angry Mike says:

Cung Le’s movie (Dragon Eyes?) wasn’t bad. Better than I thought it would be, anyway. And what about Haywire, Gina Carano’s movie? It was better than I expected, and she’s easy on the eyes. I think that’s within the definition of acting, so she’s at the top. I suppose it doesn’t really count, but Hard Times starring Charles Bronson from 1975 was about MMA before there was such a thing, and it’s still a good movie about fighting.

• MCM says:

I heard the same thing hindsight. And I forgot about Sapp in Longest Yard, he was great.

I wouldn’t count Gina, Angry Mike, cause she was freaking awful. I think she inflicted more damage on people with her horrendous acting than she ever did in the cage.

• AlphaOmega says:

What about Bas Rutten? He’s been in 12 movies..I haven’t seen any of them so I can’t comment on if they or he was good though