Quinton Jackson promises Bellator fight by year’s end

Quinton Jackson promises Bellator fight by year’s end

Freshly inked Bellator light heavyweight Quinton Jackson wasn’t part of the divisional tournament hosted by this year’s Summer Series and he may not be a member of the Season 9 field shooting for a title-shot but one thing is certain – “Rampage” will make his debut in the organization before 2014 rolls around. And, according to Jackson, he could very well fight three times in the next six months depending on what his employers want to do.

Jackson confirmed his plan during a recent conversation with Sherdog Radio where he expressed appreciation for his current circumstances compared to his old home in the UFC.

Bjorn Rebney, he’s like one of the best promoters I ever met. The guy’s super cool. He understands fighters. It’s like the guy gets it. It’s like he used to be a fighter. It’s kind of like Nick Diaz doing his own promotion. I would fight for Nick because he’s a fighter and he knows how to treat fighters. Bjorn Rebney’s like that,” explained Jackson. “That’s why I made the move that I made. I did not quit MMA. I’m still fighting. I will fight before the year’s over with and I will do pro wrestling as well.”

“They’re showing me a lot of love and a lot of respect and showing me a lot of appreciation. I’m loyal. Whatever Bellator wants me to do, I’ll do it,” he concluded.

The 35-year old Jackson hasn’t fought since January when a three-fight skid and disagreements with management opened the door for free agency. A former UFC champion, “Rampage” is 32-11 in his career with notable victories over a list of names including Wanderlei Silva, Chuck Liddell, and Dan Henderson.

• THEGUNNER says:

2 more losses and he ll retire

• AlphaOmega says:

I like how he’s saying he’s loyal, when he just proved he’s not loyal to his last organization, so can you really trust him?

And when I say he wasn’t loyal, I don’t mean just by leaving, that happens, I mean by all the trash talk he’s said before he left, and after now.

• Richard Stabone says:

(I’m not the thumbs-down guy in this topic, case you guys wondered. There must be a ‘Page fan lurking.)

We all know Rampage likes to gripe, but I don’t consider his frustration over his salary to be a sign of disloyalty. Between the article MCM recently shared and Jon Fitch’s recent breakdown of his salary during his UFC tenure, I think it’s fairly obvious that the fighters take home a relatively tiny chunk of the UFC’s overall revenue pie. Fighter pay remains a very real issue that is bubbling under the surface. Right now, the UFC holds all the leverage and so there’s just not much fighters can do but keep their mouth shut and hope they can climb the ranks to get a little bit bigger cut of the huge revenue pie. Once they leave (whether voluntarily like Rampage, or given the boot like Fitch), it’s obviously easier to speak up.

• Richard Stabone says:

Here’s the other article related to fighter pay that MCM had recently shared, in case others are interested.

Back on topic, I”d like to think Rampage has a little bit left in the tank to be a relevant force in Bellator, but at this stage of his career I think he’s just a name for other guys to use as a springboard for their career.

• AlphaOmega says:

Id agree with that Richard, except Rampage didn’t complain about just salary, he said that they were treated like meat and that they were under appreciated, or under used, and blah blah. Plus he did all of this leading up to his final fight with the UFC while he was injured.

• AlphaOmega says:

On topic of your second comment: I think he does, if he’d take it seriously, but he’s not looked good his last few outings, and even said that he was hurt, or didn’t do a good enough camp. So that’s why I’m confused why he’d take a partial gig doing pro wrestling as well as trying to train for a fight, his focus will be split between the two.

• darth_irritable says:

I think the issue is the way ‘Page bites the hand that feeds him, bitching about how the UFC never appreciated him, after they covered his ass following the energy drink rampage (waka waka), that ridiculous Youtube “joke”, put him on the card in Japan – with what should have been a gimme fight on paper, and the unearned title shot against Jones (now almost a harbinger of things to come), even after he crapped all over them by ditching out on the originally scheduled Evans fight, costing them mucho dinero.

These things do not speak of mistreatment.

• Richard Stabone says:

The talk of disrespect and not being appreciated ties right back to $$… at least for the most part. Rampage is certainly no saint, and he whines way more than he should, but where money is involved I think he’s got some room to bitch.

Since taking a hiatus from fighting, to make the A-Team movie and announcing his supposed “retirement,” the dude just hasn’t done anything of significance. The closest thing was his narrow split decision victory over Machida. Sandwiched around that was losses to Rashad, Jones, Bader and Glover…seemingly with a new excuse each time.

Well, maybe not after the Glover fight; I think he gave Glover props. And I thought Rampage against looked pretty good in that fight. But at this stage of his career I think that’s his ceiling.

• THEGUNNER says:

Maybe rampage rather fight weaker opponents. I wish they put him against rua before all this.