Tito Ortiz questions Stephan Bonnar’s Hall of Fame credentials

Tito Ortiz questions Stephan Bonnar’s Hall of Fame credentials

When retired light heavyweight Tito Ortiz was inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame there was no question the former “Huntington Beach Bad Boy” (and longstanding champion) deserved his spot. The same has also been true in the case of every other athlete receiving the honor, as all impacted the organization in a significant way while calling the Octagon home. However, some eyebrows have been raised about the upcoming inclusion of Stephan Bonnar including those belonging to Ortiz.

Forrest Griffin deserves it. He beat me, and he beat some other really good guys. He was a world champion. He had some great fights. I think he deserves it,” explained Ortiz to MMAJunkie. “As far as Stephan, I have nothing against the guy, but you’ve got to be a world champion, I think, to be in the Hall of Fame.”

“That’s a big honor to be in the Hall of Fame. It means you had a significance in the sport at one time or another,” he continued. “You look at that, and the Forrest and Stephan fight was a big step for the UFC, so do they deserve it? Possibly. But can one fight get you in the Hall of Fame? I don’t know. I guess that’s Dana’s decision.”

Ortiz also added he would like to see fans have a chance to vote for future HoF members.

Bonnar was a mediocre competitor in the UFC but, as alluded to by Ortiz, was part of an incredibly important fight with Griffin many see as the turning point for the company as a mainstream force. He and Griffin are expected to receive their Hall of Fame nods next month during festivities for UFC 162.

• MickeyC says:

Bonner should not be added. As far as I.am concerned any hall of fame dedicated to one organization that is able to ignor athletes outside of their company is fake.

• Screenplaya says:

Bonnar clearly, in my opinion, is not a Hall of Famer.

The UFC should expand to include Hall of Fame Fights or Moments, in which case Griffin-Bonnar 1 should hold pride of place. This way, all folks are rewarded accurately for their contribution to the sport.

• THEGUNNER says:

I say he should not be in the hall of fame. If they do other people are gonna expect it if they retire from the ufc. At least he would have to be a champ once. he gets beat by future hall of famers. And beat bad. Hall of fame should be for top a list not b or c list fighters.

• AlphaOmega says:

I like Screenplaya’s idea though, putting him in with a great UFC moment, but not as a fighter. I like Bonnar a lot, but no he didn’t earn a HOF induction

• MCM says:

I feel like I’ve had this conversation before. Every sports HoF includes not only top athletes, but those that have had an important impact on the sport. Bonnar was a finalist on the inaugural season of TUF, which was pivotal to the success of the sport, and was one of two men responsible for what is widely considered the most import fight in the history sport. Was he the best fighter in the UFC? No. Would the UFC, and by extension MMA, be where it is today with out him? Most likely not. That’s the definition of Impact on the sport.
    If Mask is a member of the HoF, Bonnar most assuredly deserves to be.

• hindsightufuk says:

that was my thought, if Mask is in, then Stephan goes in. and you can’t really have an intelligent argument about the UFC hall of fame cos all you have to say is, ‘but Mask is init’, and it kinda blows everything out of the water

• THEGUNNER says:

Mask earned his way in out of the cage but in all fairness would nt the other 2 dudes.be in the hof 2? Id say bonnar should be In if punk ass is. Mask falls under that hof moment not full blown hall of famer