Ronda Rousey aims to “emulate” Fedor Emelianenko when she fights

Ronda Rousey aims to “emulate” Fedor Emelianenko when she fights

Heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko will always be seen as one of the greatest fighters to ever grace the ring. However, in the opinions of many his success comes with an asterisk due to the fact Emelianenko never showcased his skills inside the Octagon. Though “The Last Emperor” isn’t likely to come off the sidelines and erase any doubt, he at least has one avid enthusiast attempting to live up to his example in the form of UFC bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey.

An icon herself, Rousey recently participated in a chat with fans on Facebook where she revealed how highly she respected the retired Russian.

“My favorite fighter to watch ever I would say is Fedor Emelianenko. He’s always going to be my favorite,” said Rousey. “It was the first highlight reel I ever saw of MMA. I loved his style and how he came from a Judo-Sambo background, and I really try to emulate his style every time that I fight.”

One characteristic Rousey and Emelianenko certainly share pertains to their submission prowess. Nearly half of Emelianenko’s 34 wins came from tapping his opponents out including six by way of Armbar, Rousey’s patented finish.

• AlphaOmega says:

My friend and I always joked that Fedor just woke up before fights, and the only reason he fought and ended them so soon is that they promised him a sandwich if he won. And it kinda fits if you watch his fights.

• soundspawn says:

Fedor’s armbars were better, sickest in the sport. She should emulate him more by talking less and maybe getting a little humility.

• AlphaOmega says:

And then Daddy Dana’s money in her will dry up soundspawn

• Niv says:

“in the opinions of many his success comes with an asterisk due to the fact Emelianenko never showcased his skills inside the Octagon”

In the opinion of many more those opinions were misguided as he more than proved he was the best ever!

• AlphaOmega says:

I don’t know if there are more that did think that, then didn’t. I know a lot of people lost interest when a deal with the UFC wasn’t finalized. You could see that in the comments on here even, a lot of people went to loving Fedor, to as soon as the contract was turned down, saying he’d rather boost his career fighting nobodys, washouts and cans instead of actually trying to fight good fighters.

• darth_irritable says:

They can say that, but Cro-cop, Randleman, Nog, Coleman etc might beg to differ.

• AlphaOmega says:

But all of those were before he turned down the UFC contract, which was when public opinion seemed to turn