Chris Weidman: “I’m going in there to finish it fast.”

Chris Weidman: “I’m going in there to finish it fast.”

UFC middleweight Chris Weidman has been a popular pick to win Saturday night when he faces champion Anderson Silva in the UFC 162 headliner. Not only has the unbeaten grappler earned support from fans, but a number of his fellow fighters have pointed to Weidman as the man to dethrone the longstanding divisional king. Though Weidman obviously believes in his own chances of beating Silva, the 29-year old contender is still appreciative of positive feedback he’s seen from folks during the final build up to this weekend’s bout.

“I was kind of getting the feeling a lot of fighters were picking me. It’s awesome that my peers see something in me that I could beat the greatest of all-time. I see it myself, but it gives me a little extra boost of confidence when other guys are seeing it too,” explained Weidman in an interview with MMAJunkie. “Most of them are not even in the gym with me. They’re just going based off my fights. I think the guys that are in the gym with me feel that even more.”

Outside of predicting victory, Weidman wasn’t able to offer any additional insight on exactly how he expects to end Silva’s sixteen-fight winning streak inside the Octagon. However, he did make one promise.

“I can’t really tell you exactly what’s going to happen; I wish I could. But I’m going in there to finish the fight. I’m going in there to finish it fast,” stated the self-assured Weidman.

The 9-0 Weidman will be looking for his sixth win in the UFC come showtime. Six of his instances of overall success have come via some form of stoppage.

• MickeyC says:

Let me start by saying I hope Chris beats Andersons ass. No hate ment to Silva, Im just ready to see things shook up. Im sure like most fighters Chris would like to score a 1st rd KO, but I hope he is prepared to go 25 minutes. In my opinion it will have to be done like chael did it. all but those last few minutes.

• stone says:

If it goes down like the Chael fight, Weidman wins in the 1st or 2nd…Weidman has WAY heavier hands than Chael. No one can take a pounding from Weidman for 5 minutes straight….I too want Chris to pull it off but my only concern is him getting caught by a knee or a shin on the way in on a takedown…if Silva doesnt catch him with a slick kick of some sort, Weidman’s skill set should win him the fight

• THEGUNNER says:

If he does win I hope we dont have watch a rematch then trilogy. Take him out he fights gsp then retires sounds good to me.

• raker says:

Weiidman is going down like the rest of them. Ok… He beat the shot out of Munoz. So did Hamil. It’s close to a walk through for Silva.

• AlphaOmega says:

I’ve made my case before, but I’ll do it again. Weidman, on paper, has all the tools and ability to beat Silva, Sonnen showed a gaping hole in Silva’s game to power doubles, and Weidman has a great power double. However, I think Weidman is too new/young, to fresh in the sport for this fight right now. Plus he’s coming off of a long lay off, and his first ever major injury, thrown straight into headlining a PPV fight, on 4th of July weekend, against Anderson Silva. I think the pressure will be to great, and he will have to strong of jitters, and maybe a little ring rust, that he won’t look right.

All that being said, I’d love it if Weidman dethroned Silva.

• AlphaOmega says:

Dana said that if Silva loses, he gets an immediate rematch, why? The fight hasn’t happened, so there’s absolutely no controversy so far, I don’t like the whole, lets give our dominate champs instant rematches because we think their loss was a fluke mentality.

• THEGUNNER says:

It would be better for them if.they didnt give silva a rematch right after a loss so they can put him on a ppv main event and have a good card with out it having to be a title involved.

• raker says:

True! Weidman basically has to beat Silva twice in a row to be champ.

• MCM says:

The only title fight that should have gotten an immediate rematch was Edgar/Maynard and that’s cause it was a Draw.

I think Weidman has the tools to win but not the seasoning. Silva has highly underrated takedown defense and other worldly striking with deceptive power. I think this fight ends early too but it ends with another Anderson KO.

I hope I’m wrong.

• JabCrossHook says:

Chris will get easily beat, he doesn’t have enough experience and mental toughness. Silva mind fucks his opponents and his td defense is only viewed as a weakness because his rib was broken going into the first Chael fight but ppl seem to forget that he consistently stuffed Chaels TDs in the second fight so I’m pretty sure weidman will get caught with something and finished.